Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Using Speaker Phone in Private Conversation

I personally dont like it.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

@tansy wrote:

My husband puts all calls on speaker phone to help him hear the conversation better.

So do I.

Honored Contributor

@Still Raining wrote:

The ABSOLUTE worst is the idiots who take one into a public restroom stall.  I mean really, how can you do your business????

@Still Raining......believe you are talking about cell phones.....  This is about speaker phones.  A lot of difference between the two.. 

Respected Contributor

I use speaker  for ALL conversations.   Callers do not realize when they COUGH in the mouthpiece, or accidentially HIT THE KEYPAD while speaking to me (causing those annoying beeps in my ear) that they are torturing me.

Honored Contributor

@ShowMe wrote:

@Still Raining wrote:

The ABSOLUTE worst is the idiots who take one into a public restroom stall.  I mean really, how can you do your business????

@Still Raining......believe you are talking about cell phones.....  This is about speaker phones.  A lot of difference between the two.. 

@ShowMe.  Cell phones are also speaker phones. 

Esteemed Contributor

I use it if I am alone. I do not like using the speaker if there are other people who can hear the conversation around. That’s why if I have a phone call to make I wait until I am alone and use the speaker.

Respected Contributor

The key factor for me is who else is around to hear. My parents put me on speaker so they can both hear and don't get feedback from two phone handsets in the same room. The only other person around is my sister, so I'm fine with that. Likewise, I put them on speaker because they often call me when I'm cooking or doing laundry and need both hands. I live alone, so no one else is going to hear. I do have an Alexa, but truly, if Amazon wants to listen to my mom talk about her arthritis, back pain, recent trip to the dentist or which members of their local parish have died in the last week, they can have at it. 

When I used to call my dad when he worked in an office, I would always ask that he take me OFF speaker phone because anyone who walked by could hear and I didn't need to hear his business partners and they certainly didn't need to hear me. 

Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@ShowMe wrote:

@Still Raining wrote:

@ShowMe.  Cell phones are also speaker phones. 

@proudlyfromNJ.....I understand that.  That's why I don't use my cell phone unless it's an emergency.  

Honored Contributor

I always announce "you're on speaker" if someone else is around when I answer the phone.  I often use speaker phone because I'm doing things while I'm talking, and I need both hands.  If the conversation should shift to something personal I immediately take it off speaker.

Back in the day you used to be able to tuck the phone between your ear and your neck and do whatever you needed to do.  These days the phone is smaller than the remote.  Hate that.

Esteemed Contributor

I use speakerphone all the time when dealing with customer service reps since I like to multitask and am usually using my computer at the time.  I never thought to ask if the person was ok with it.  Oops.  I rarely use it for anyone else.