Honored Contributor

Using Power of Attorney to deposit a check

I have Power of Attorney for my father. I have a few checks, made payable to him, that I need to deposit into his checking account and he's having some health issues and I don't know that he's going to be able to endorse the checks so I can deposit them.  I'm going to have him sign a blank piece of paper tomorrow and if he does ok with that I'll have him endorse the checks, but in case he can't....

Anyone have experience with this?  Do I sign his name on the back and then mine and the note "POA"?  Yes, I can certainly ask his bank but his bank seems to have issues with even the simplest transaction so I want to be knowledgable when I go in to do this.   I assume I'll need to bring the copy of the Power of Attorney with me to the bank. Do they just look at it or will they keep a copy?  

I guess I could also try just writing "for deposit only" and his account number on the bank, but again, his bank makes an issue out of everything.  I know that back in the day, you could do that. 

I can certainly go to the bank and ask them and will, but I thought I'd check to see if anyone here has experience with this.  After all, all of you who post in these forums are just as good as googling!

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Respected Contributor

Re: Using Power of Attorney to deposit a check

[ Edited ]

IF you are depositing the money into HIS account.......just sign the check yourself and deposit it..........................................raven

We're not in Kansas anymore ToTo
Honored Contributor

@raven-blackbird wrote:

IF you are depositing the money into HIS account.......just sign the check yourself and deposit it..........................................raven

@raven-blackbird- sign his name or mine?

Valued Contributor

You should bring the original POA papers with you to the bank and have them make a copy and notate the account.  Sign the back of the check "John Smith by Mary Smith POA.  You shouldn't have any issues.

You have sacrificed nothing and no one.
Respected Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

@raven-blackbird wrote:

@raven-blackbird- sign his name or mine?

@gidgetgh

his name.........I used to deposit my grandmothers checks for her and I just signed her name and deposited the check into HER account.........you won't get in trouble for putting money IN the account...........taking is out is a whole other deal LOL.................................raven

We're not in Kansas anymore ToTo
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Most banks, if not all, have their own internal POA forms, which they may require you to complete in addition to presenting your own legal POA document.  So once they have their own form on file, you shouldn't have any future issues with any kind of transaction at that bank.  The authorization will be in their computer for future reference.

In the meantime, they shouldn't have any problem with a deposit into your father's account.

Honored Contributor

@Maudelynn wrote:

You should bring the original POA papers with you to the bank and have them make a copy and notate the account.  Sign the back of the check "John Smith by Mary Smith POA.  You shouldn't have any issues.

I always did this and it always worked for me.

Honored Contributor

Thanks everyone. If he can't endorse them tomorrow, I'll head to the bank Monday, armed with the POA document and see how it goes.  It's always an adventure when I go there. 

Esteemed Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

I have Power of Attorney for my father. I have a few checks, made payable to him, that I need to deposit into his checking account and he's having some health issues and I don't know that he's going to be able to endorse the checks so I can deposit them.  I'm going to have him sign a blank piece of paper tomorrow and if he does ok with that I'll have him endorse the checks, but in case he can't....

Anyone have experience with this?  Do I sign his name on the back and then mine and the note "POA"?  Yes, I can certainly ask his bank but his bank seems to have issues with even the simplest transaction so I want to be knowledgable when I go in to do this.   I assume I'll need to bring the copy of the Power of Attorney with me to the bank. Do they just look at it or will they keep a copy?  

I guess I could also try just writing "for deposit only" and his account number on the bank, but again, his bank makes an issue out of everything.  I know that back in the day, you could do that. 

I can certainly go to the bank and ask them and will, but I thought I'd check to see if anyone here has experience with this.  After all, all of you who post in these forums are just as good as googling!

When you do a "deposit only," SunTrust wants your signature and ID.I would just call them and ask. Just recently I wanted to take a check sent to me and give it to another person: a third party check. SunTrust rules that both people must be at the bank to cash the check. They're sticklers.

Super Contributor

I belong to an organization and recently ran a banquet. I am NOT a signatory on the account but collected payments as the treasurer was traveling. I had absolutely no problem just writing "for deposit only" above the account number on the back of each check - and there were dozens of them.