Respected Contributor

Use your legal name..........

I have always gone by my middle name. Now I'm having problems because I am not known by my first name. So if you are not using your legal name for legal, medical, insurance you might want to consider starting to change your name of record.

Problems have occured with: Insurance, Drivers License, Bank and now a Brokerage Account. My Social Security/Medicare and Passport have my legal name so you would think the clarification would be easy.

For those that say "just submit a certified AKA (notarized)", this has been rejected by Vanguard even thought I provided two forms of ID with my full name. Vanguard is requiring a "medallion" cerifiication by anothere fudiciary (bank or brokerage). Vanguard accepted two forms of ID. 

So you are saying well what dummy would use a nickname or other on a DL! Well when you are 15 and applying for a DL 50 years ago it was just my name.

Just my experience.............

Honored Contributor

Re: Use your legal name..........

@granddi 

I feel your pain!

DH goes by his middle name and although he uses his first name with legal and financial matters, it's confusing in everyday life.

I can't tell you over the years how many Dr. offices had 2 charts on him, one in each name.

Some of our utilities are in his first name, some are in his middle name.

When I try to handle everyday business, I never know which name to use, LOL! 

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

Along the same line:  I do most of the Bill paying/ issue resolving in my family. A problem I have run into at least 10 times this year:  when a company won't talk to me about an issue without first talking to my husband (as they have him as "primary" on the account).  This annoys me greatly, as I have always been an independent, liberated woman (and womens rights have been around for 100 years).  I always mention my annoyance to the company in question whenever it comes up.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@patbz wrote:

Along the same line:  I do most of the Bill paying/ issue resolving in my family. A problem I have run into at least 10 times this year:  when a company won't talk to me about an issue without first talking to my husband (as they have him as "primary" on the account).  This annoys me greatly, as I have always been an independent, liberated woman (and womens rights have been around for 100 years).  I always mention my annoyance to the company in question whenever it comes up.

you should be able to have him make you  able to discuss the account as well 

Honored Contributor

@patbz wrote:

@patbz 

YES!

I've also been through this a lot and I always want to ask them, "Do you realize you won't get paid if you don't want to talk to me?"

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

I had the same annoyance too but I am now listed on all of our accounts...my dh never paid a bill until his recent retirement.

Honored Contributor

I think once you go down that road, it probably is impossible to go back.  And I am somone who had the good sense NOT to do it when I was 14 and got my first job.  I don't like my first name, it's an old fashioned family name.  Socially, I have always used a nickname but I use my true name for legal documents, hospital records, insurance etc.  Even as a kid, I knew it was important to do that.  It's always been easy to use my preferred nickname in classrooms and at work and in every facet of my life.  Of course, I didn't have a choice if a birth certificate was required.  You couldn't  put a nickname on driver's license or a passport.  Everyone is tightening up on identities now so I can see where you might be having problems.  

Honored Contributor

@patbz wrote:

They aren't disrepecting you.  It's a privacy and that is mandated by some states.  They can only disclose account information to the account holder on file.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Is your legal name your first or middle name?  Your passport should be good enough for anyone/anything.

Since I was in Kindergarten I've used my nickname not my given name on my birth certificate. My whole life both names were used on school records. My nickname is on my SS card and driver's license. Nickname was used on my payroll records, deed, tax records, everything.    I was able to get a passport  in my nickname.  My Mom had luckily saved all my report cards, even the hospital bill from when I was born.  I have yearbook pictures of me with both names.   I sent copies of all this stuff in with the passport application.  I was able to prove that it was me but with two names.  And passport was issued with my nickname.  

Honored Contributor

Why in heavens creation would anyone use a nick name for legal documents?  This doesn't make any sense at all.

Of course it's going to cause problems down the road.  If you do dumb things you are going to reap the rewards that aren't pretty.

I go by a nick name, but never in a million years would I use that name nick name on anything legal.

My father's younger sister was given a name at birth that she never used and her family didn't use it either.  It caused her a ton of problems.  Finally, her oldest  sister had to appear before a judge and explain that the name on her birth certificate was given to her, but the family changed their mind, but did not legal change her name.  It was a big mess. All of this happened when she wanted to collect SS.