Honored Contributor

Re: Use your legal name..........

I have added my name to many accounts that over the years were coming in just my husbands name .  For one all of  our insurance....and on all of our retirement accounts including stocks that were just in his name.  His car in in his name only , but, as soon as it is paid off, I will add my name to the title.  

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for the heads up!

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Honored Contributor

I don't know your age, but back in the day things like you describe were a lot more loosey goosey.  No one gave it a 2nd thought.  Your  birth certificate might say Margaret, but go by Peggy & Peggy is on all your IDs.   And I've had friends who have had  problems because now names have to be an exact match across all documents.   One friend is married, goes by  her married name, so everything such as utility bills are in her married name but legally that's not her name.   She didn't want to go through the trouble of getting a new SS card, DL and everything else when she got married.   She had to scramble to find acceptable document for a Star ID.

You weren't foolish or dumb.

Times have changed.

Most men don't understand the struggle!!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I go by my middle name but have always done anything official in my full legal name (kept my married last name even though divorced).  Everything official is in my full married name. Not worth the hassle of going though changing my name back to my maiden name. I have strong Irish heritage and my married last name is Irish so I kept it.