Esteemed Contributor

Re: Updates: are the posters from Hurricane Florence area ok?

@CelticCrafter wrote:

The town my brother used to live in in NC is under water and the cell phone towers for that area are out or down or gone  so they may not be able to check in on their phones either.

Do you know anything about Moorsville in NC?  I know someone who lives there, I have no phone number and am concerned.  Hope your brother is okay.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have a friend in Mooresville. They said they are getting rain but it is not anywhere near what the coast got. Hopefully your friend is doing well also. Radar shows the storm has passed them now.

doxie

edited to fix spelling.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@this is my nic wrote:

We live in the north central part of NC and it's been raining here since Thursday evening.  Rivers are supposed to flood.  Fortunately, we live on a hill and far from a river and streams.   We never lost power!

We are thankful, but saddened for those who lost their homes or experienced serious damage.  The coast and inland areas near rivers are getting hit hard.  I doubt there will be any decent beaches left after this.  So many people depend on the beaches to bring in tourists, their livelihoods may be gone.  Sad. 

Glad you are okay.  Do you know if Moorsville is in the path of the hurricane?

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@doxie1 wrote:

I have a friend in Mooresville. They said they are getting rain but it is not anywhere near what the coast got. Hopefully your friend is doing well also. Radar shows the storm has passed them now.

doxie

edited to fix spelling.

Thank you so much doxie1, your response is very much appreciated and I am relieved.  I know she lives by a huge lake which is practically walking distance from her house but other than that I know nothing about NC.  Thanks again.

Esteemed Contributor

We have been blessed.  They initially called for 15 inches of rain in our part of South Carolina, but that forecast changed.  Not sure how much we've gotten so far. Our yard is soggy and small branches have fallen, but that's about it.  Locally there are thousands still without power, and school will be in session tomorrow on a delayed schedule.  We had several Red Cross evacuation centers set up in this area, but apparently some aren't needed.  It has been a steady rain all day but no thunder, lightning, or wind.  

A couple of days ago I discovered our online EMS/Fire/Sheriff scanners.  At one point a tree was down on power lines, and it amazed me how many radioed that they were responding or on standby if needed.  It was comforting knowing that so many were praying and sending positive thoughts our way.  Thank you.  I will continue to pray for those who are affected.  

Esteemed Contributor

@this is my nic wrote:

@kittymomNC

Southern part of heaven?  You must be in Chapel Hill! I'm in Mebane now, but used to live in Chapel Hill.   We did get lucky with Florence, but my heart breaks for those at the coast.  

BTW, my daughter takes care of a feral kitty family here in Mebane.  She was able to get many of them adopted!   I know you must have a huge heart to be so kind and a dwindling bank account!  Dd has spent so much on her feral family.   God chooses the right people to provide the love and care needed.  ❤️  Thank you! 

@this is my nic

Hey, it's a small world, isn't it?  I'm not in Chapel Hill but close enough. I consider this whole area the Southern Part of Heaven - except for the humidity and the mosquitoes! Smiley Wink And unless this place dries out quickly or it gets cold, we will have a huge crop of those!

I love Mebane, especially 5th Street, if I remember correctly.  Isn't that the street that runs from just off I-85 into the middle of Mebane that has all the beautiful dogwood trees in the spring? I wanted to move to that street!  I had a jewelry business for about 10 years, and I did some business in that area.  Met some wonderful people, but have not been back for quite a while.  

Speaking of the kitties, one little gray cat that I fed through the winter about 3 years ago (thinking it was a boy Smiley Frustrated) produced 3 litters totalling 13 kittens.  She pretty much abandoned all of them - I think she knew she brought them to the right place.  I eventually trapped all but one baby and the Mama and my vet fixed them all free of charge over a couple of years (I LOVE my vets!)  They got most of them adopted, but I have two (sister and brother) inside that were not as feral, and three of the four outside are either sisters or "half sister" of the ones inside. The 4th outside is a big boy tabby cat who came and wiggled his way into the first litter and became part of the group... I consider him their big brother!  They are quite the little family... I'm no spring chicken and had thought I might need to sell my house in the next few years, but I don't think I could leave them!  (My new next door neighbors are not happy about them, but that's a whole other story! 

Thanks to your daughter, too, and all those who care so much for the animals.  My heart breaks for those that may have had to be left behind during the storm.

Respected Contributor

Just checking in with weather news in north central NC.  This morning the sun peeked through the clouds to reassure us it's still there.  I think it rained all throughout the night;  it definitely thundered!  We will never forget Florence, she scared all of us, broke many hearts, and, sadly, ended the earthly lives of others.  Now, the repair, replace mode begins.   

Wishing the best for those who will have the remnants of Florence to deal with, good luck and God bless.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@kittymomNC

Yes, Clay St. is the street with all the shops. If you haven't visited us in a few years, do stop in! You won't believe the changes!

Valued Contributor

We live in Eastern NC and were so very lucky! Our power came back yesterday and we have no damage to our house. There are so many people here who have lost their homes or many of their possessions in their home. Many have evacuated and can't get home because the roads are flooded. There are trees down everywhere. Just went to Publix and they are pretty well stocked but Target had absolutely nothing in their freezers. I heard that they, along with Walmart, lost all of their frozen food because their generators rn out of gas. So sad!

Esteemed Contributor

I can hardly believe what I'm seeing on TV today.  There are flooded streets and neighborhoods within just a few miles of me that I've never seen flooded like this, or at all, in the 40+ years I've lived here.  Not even Hurricane Fran caused flooding like this around here!