Honored Contributor

Re: Update regarding Italy and the virus

And for some reason, people think this isn't going to happen here or happen to them.

If not now, if not this particular virus,  then sometime in the future. 

I don't get how people don't see that there is a possibility for them to be us, us to be them, and always think it's overblown and 'far away'. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

the problem with testing was more than the kits - due to regulations, just about everything has had to go through federal CDC.  when this centralization was discovered to have impeded action by states  and locaities, private labs etc, regulations were changed a few weeks ago by the administration and private labs were brought in to expand facilities.

Respected Contributor

Not True, it was the CDC ones that were faulty.  The rest of the World has been using the WHO for weeks.  

Honored Contributor

For some reason I just had to post this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDfAdHBtK_Q

Honored Contributor

My husband has a friend that was going to Italy with his wife in a few weeks and they decided to cancel.

Alitalia won't refund his money which is complete and total BS given the fact that the country is on lockdown.

Respected Contributor

I just saw a story on the news that said 160 additional people have died there in the last 24 hours.  This is so sad. 

Respected Contributor

@ms traditional wrote:

the problem with testing was more than the kits - due to regulations, just about everything has had to go through federal CDC.  when this centralization was discovered to have impeded action by states  and locaities, private labs etc, regulations were changed a few weeks ago by the administration and private labs were brought in to expand facilities.

Unfortunately, testing is still difficult to get done. I have spoken to friends who work in ERs in NYC. It is extremely difficult to get a test done without very specific criteria in spite of what we are being told. Much more difficult than a simple doctor's order,  Much different than the drive- thru testing done in other countries that are far ahead of us in testing and diagnosis. 

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Esteemed Contributor

The statistics for South Korea, which has implemented aggressive testing may be more indicative of the disease than the WHO numbers which are heavily skewed toward China and Iran.

As of this morning, the Mortality Rate is approximately 1.5% based upon confirmed cases.

Of those cases still considered "active" 99% exhibit mild symptoms, 1% serious or critical.

Valued Contributor

@Johnnyeager wrote:

The statistics for South Korea, which has implemented aggressive testing may be more indicative of the disease than the WHO numbers which are heavily skewed toward China and Iran.

As of this morning, the Mortality Rate is approximately 1.5% based upon confirmed cases.

Of those cases still considered "active" 99% exhibit mild symptoms, 1% serious or critical.

@Johnnyeager  I just want to say THANK YOU! I appreciate you posting this information as not that it's "better" so to speak, b/c I don't want anyone to die, however, it's definitely not as alarming as the 3.5% that was being quoted/reported.

I just hope it runs its course soon and fizzles out. Time will tell. Until then, everyone please stay safe, follow the advice from the CDC/your doctors and WE WILL get thru this together!! Heart

~ Hope in TN ~
Respected Contributor

Why are we not testing people coming back here from Italy when the situation is so serious there?  Is this taking all the precautions that we can...no, it is not.