Respected Contributor

Re: Update - prayers for son lung / heart transplant evaluation process

On 3/28/2015 amiracleneeded said:

An update on my son.

They have held off presenting his case to the lung transplant board for a couple of weeks. We had his regular doctor appointments with his pulmonary and cardiologist doctors. We were hit with him seeing a Nephrologist and getting tests for his kidneys.

He may have to have a kidney transplant added to the lung transplant list presented to the board.

His doctors feel the board will ask questions about past testing levels that have to do with his kidneys /liver (creatine, alkaline phosphatase, etc.) and they want to be ready to answer all questions. They keep saying his age is on his side and the board takes that into consideration.

I could see his face when they mentioned the possibility of a kidney transplant too. He bounces back with a positive attitude quick, but that is the face he shows us.

Please keep my son in your prayers.

*They didn't mention any thing more regarding the heart.

I hope the webmaster will allow me to keep updating on this thread.

May I ask what hospital is William affiliated with? Or, what city are you all in?

We are very close to Easter and it is a time of rebirth. I will continue to pray for William and your family as well.

Honored Contributor

On 3/28/2015 Gooday said:
On 3/28/2015 Lucky charm said:

Miracleneeded--Keep the faith, it's amazing what they can do with organ transplantation nowadays. It's almost like nothing's impossible. Also, keep in mind that if you run into roadblocks, other hospitals will do cases that have been turned down previously. Don't stop believing!

Goodday--Don't know if you went to Northwestern's 50th anniversary celebration (transplants). I met Dr. Levanthal who does kidney transplants. Can't remember how long he's been practicing at NW. Wonderful man. They are all miracle workers!

OMG! They are the best. Dr. Levanthal and Abecassis. DH now follows with Dr. Fiederwald on a yearly basis.

We were not in town. I do follow them on FB. They have another event coming up but at this time we are dealing with my elderly father who we are taking for multiple tests. He lost the site in his eye last November due to a slight stroke.

DH did a lot of research before he decided on Northwestern. Living in Chicago, he had many good options but Northwestern stood out with the highest success rate and the fact they do not use steroids unless absolutely necessary.

Yes! Dr. Abbacasis (however you spell it!). He is the most brilliant (mastermind!) human being I've ever met. I guess he and Leventhal have been there a while. Dr. Flamm, another one!

One of my BFFs works with all of them. (And I happened to meet them before she even moved to Chicago and got the job on the 19th floor....small world isn't it?!)

What a great place and a great group of people.

Honored Contributor

Miracle Needed, Yes! Please keep us updated. I've thought about you so much the past couple of days wondering what was going on.

It's got to be heart wrenching to see your son going through this. But his attitude is good. He must keep moving forward.

Miracles do happen. Transplants are miracles. What they didn't do a few years ago is commonplace now.

And most times, the worse off a patient is, it can be better chance for them to be placed. These transplant teams meet and discuss each patient thoroughly. No one is forgotten.

And like I said before, if someone says they can't, there's probably someone else who says they can.

Honored Contributor

I wish good health for your son and happy times for your whole family.You have so much to endure and it seems that you are strong and that is good.i will pray for your son to become well again.
Esteemed Contributor

Today is Palm Sunday and William will be remembered in our church prayers today! And next week is Easter and he will be remembered there too. Stay strong!

Honored Contributor

I just read this, have been off the BB for a few days.

My heart goes out to you, your son, and your family. You will be in my thoughts.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

amiracleneeded, sending only positive thoughts to your son. This is a blessed time of year. May it be blessed for your family.

Respected Contributor

Definitely will continue to pray for your son and you, too.

Super Contributor

amiracleneeded, I'll be praying for your son and all of you!!! Hang in there!!!
Super Contributor

Thinking of you and your DS.