Honored Contributor

Re: Update on "Be careful when sending returns"....

was there a particular reason why the package was not insured?

for jewelry returns i always make sure that there is some type of insurance on the item, especially if it is expensive.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I worked in a fine jewelry store where all sizings and repairs had to be sent to our home store.

We always insured, of course, but the way we wrapped the package, taping over any seams with paper glue-backed shipping tape (not the clear plastic kind) allowed the post office to stamp a seal on any seam in the package.  Then tampering became obvious, if a post office stamp was torn through.

Esteemed Contributor

Only problem I had was not with a return but receiving two expensive pieces. I got home picked up mail and I had seen earlier my packages were out for delivery. I checked my status and said delivered. I called QVC and they were very nice and reordered for me but I went to post office and they called my mailman, he said he had been out yesterday and someone else filled in, they called him and around 5p I heard mailman outside and he delivered my missing packages. (Mail is delivered at 11a and had already been delivered that day)I called QVC and cancelled replacements. Weird but glad it was resolved. Good luck!!

Honored Contributor

To the OP: I'm sorry. It sucks. Sadly, there are people who claim this happens when, indeed, they're not telling the truth. Companies have to assume the worst because of so many bad apples.

This happened to me with HSN. I sent back a hair item in the original packing and via USPS. We have a "cluster" type of mailbox; 12 houses have their own little box but it's one BIG box with 12 little doors. To send mail, you stick the mail in your little box and hope the mailperson picks it up. For packages, you set it on top of the large mail box.

Been doing that for years as has everyone in the community. I saw the mailperson pick it up; but it was never received by HSN. I went to the post office, to the manager to up to the Postmaster General; nothing they could do as I couldn't prove the person actually picked it up (a visual does not count- it would have to be recorded). Since we don't have an assigned person, the mailperson can change daily, weekly, whenever.

From that point on, I drop everything off to the Post OFFICE and get a receipt and believe me, I've had to use THAT as proof that something was mailed because it never arrived to it's final destination.

Respected Contributor

i ordered and returned an expensive stack ring to SHOP and used Fedex. it cost me close to $20 for shipping and insurance. it was worth it to me because i heard a lot of horror stories about returning to them and to avoid using their smart label.

Contributor

Yes, there is a reason...

I made a costly, stupid mistake....

I always and I mean always insure expensive jewelry items with signature required but this time I was dropping off a few packages at UPS, (some were going to the Evine Kentucky warehouse) and for what ever reason, I was not paying attention to what was going where.

That is where the stupid comes in....

When I got home I realized my mistake but it was too late as the UPS facility was closed and the packages were on their way..

I did not worry too much as I have NEVER had a problem with UPS losing anything but I tracked the packages progress just to make sure that it arrived. I figured that once it arrived (it had) at the warehouse, no worries...

Costly mistake for believing that and one in which I will not make again.

Thanks everyone for your helpful replies....

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I would expect that response from Evine. They don't seem helpful at all.

Hopefully your cc company can help.

ETA: You said you sent it UPS? 

Evine uses 'SmartLabels" which allow one to return a package via USPS (and that includes insurance). They also provide a return label with just the return address. How did you send it back by UPS? 

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Esteemed Contributor

So sorry this happened to you. I just don't find people to be very honest anymore...

Contributor

Thanks...

Yes, the package was sent via UPS...

I usually use the Smart Label for returns, but no Smart Label was included for this return...

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, there is something you can do.  File a complaint and claim with UPS. If you have to go so far as to provide video evidence of you dropping off the package, do it. I've had jewelry "drop off the back of the truck" with UPS and filed a complaint.  I received my money back.

Also, go on the facebook page of Evine and tell your story, they hate bad publicity.

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow