Esteemed Contributor

Re: Update on my coworker vent

I'm kind of curious what happens if one of the designated parking people leaves--what happens to the space--next in age, or seniority with the company--or does it become an open space.

IMO, if there is no sign designating it as an open space, it's just a perk for a very few and probably a lot of employees would like to see the implied favoritism go away.  

If it is really a reserved parking space, then the OP needs to petition management to mark/announce to all other employees that it is reserved, and violators will be towed.

Otherwise, seems like management doesn't want to become involved in a petty argument amongst their employees.

It's either reserved or not, should not be any room for a gray area.

Honored Contributor

Thank you for the update.

I'm sure that things will go smoothly from now on.

Just enjoy the fact that you have a job and a place to work.  

Keep well, everyone.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Trusted Contributor

Now she's parking in someone else's space.  What is so hard about parking where you are supposed to park?!  This does not bode well since I'm sure this behavior won't be confined to parking spaces.  

Respected Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@cookinfreak   Hon-you are way too invested in her.  Watching what door she uses or how she gets to the bathroom-it just isn't worth it.

Let it be.  You have your space and the rest is not your concern.

I'm saying this kindly so please do not take it the wrong way.

Be well.

I don't know how anyone could take this except the wrong way.  
Honored Contributor

She took one space, now it seems she's taking another, asserting herself.  Her next move is to find a sponsor in management that she can convince that poor little her was wronged by an an older employee because she is young and vulnerable and the manager can protect her. 

I have seen it work more than once.  

Honored Contributor

Thanks for the update. I'm glad you're seeing less of her and good luck.

Respected Contributor

Ah - so management confirmed OP's statement that the spaces are reserved as a perk.

And yet the new person still thinks she should park there.  I suspect when the sick employee comes back there will be more trouble.  I hope the others with reerved spaces are as willing to stand up to her as the OP.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

People come in and use something like this small parking lot issue to split the herd.  

If they can get a few people on their side (easy enough in most offices of any size) then the war is on and what used to be a pleasant place to work is now an armed camp. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sooner wrote:

People come in and use something like this small parking lot issue to split the herd.  

If they can get a few people on their side (easy enough in most offices of any size) then the war is on and what used to be a pleasant place to work is now an armed camp. 

Exactly.  If I were her supervisor, I would put a stop to this behavior right now.  Unfortunately, most supervisors don't want conflict - and thus get more of it than they would if they fairly enforced rules and stopped troublemaking behavior.

Respected Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

When I hear about stories like this, I'm SMH wondering how adults can act so juvenile in a professional setting.  Where are the grown-ups?  Who wants to work in an environment of such pettiness?  Yikes!

Sometimes I think many adults are just kids in bigger bodies.

The younger girl sounds like a real piece of work.