Trusted Contributor

Update on my Aunt Pauline

[ Edited ]

I wanted to post an update on my Aunt Pauline, who tested positive for Covid at the assisted living center where she lives, back on November 3.

I received a second Christmas card from her this week saying that she was still short of breath, and that she was tested for pneumonia.  She said she would find out the test results "today", the day she wrote the card.  She had filled this second card with writing, unlike the first one, but more like her old self. 

I gave her a call to see if she did indeed have pneumonia. Turns she did not, it is just a lingering after effect of the Covid.  She still sounded a little short of breath, but as she got to talking, she sounded stronger.  She said that she has been attending the "sing along" that the facility has, among its other activities.  

I mentioned in another post that she is 90 years old.  I thought they had used another medication on her, in addition to the Remdisivir, since the hospital had a press release about two new meds they were using.  

Turns out that was an error, since she was released from the hospitial before the medications were available; so she just got the Remdisivir.

I told her that she had sent me two Christmas cards.  She said she wondered how many others she had sent two to, and "no wonder" she had needed extra stamps!

This is the middle of three sisters.  My mother was the youngest sister and passed away at age 68 in 2004.  The oldest sister has also passed, I believe she was 84.

Aunt Pauline has three children of her own, 9 nieces and nephews, many grandchildren, and a few "greats".  We are all very impressed by her.  What a lady!  

Super Contributor

Re: Update on my Aunt Pauline

@GrailSeeker   Glad to hear it seems like things are on the upside for your Aunt.  I love that about the Christmas cards and how she wondered why she needed more stamps!  I'm sure you were so happy to receive two from her and the hand-written note!

I hope she improves more every day.  All positive news is most welcome these days!

Respected Contributor

I didn't see your previous post but I'm so happy to see that she is recovering. What a blessing!  My mom lost her battle with covid in April at age 88 and she was also in a nursing home. My sister however in the same home and they shared a room was 65 and she recovered and has Parkinsons but she already had it prior to getting covid. I recently saw on the news of a 107 y.o woman who also recovered so it does happen. God Bless your Aunt and may she have many more years to come

Honored Contributor

I also missed your previous post but am so glad  your aunt just "keeps on truckin". That's how my mom is at 91. If she gets up out of one of my chairs, I say, Mom do you want this one, it's more comfortable..... she tells me, "No, I just have to keep moving".  Your aunt sounds that way, too. So happy she is recovering.   

Esteemed Contributor

God bless your Aunt Pauline. 🙏

Trusted Contributor

@Goodie2shoes wrote:

I didn't see your previous post but I'm so happy to see that she is recovering. What a blessing!  My mom lost her battle with covid in April at age 88 and she was also in a nursing home. My sister however in the same home and they shared a room was 65 and she recovered and has Parkinsons but she already had it prior to getting covid. I recently saw on the news of a 107 y.o woman who also recovered so it does happen. God Bless your Aunt and may she have many more years to come

She wrote in her card that so many had died of this, 10 or 11 in her home.  I am sure that kind of gets to you after a while.  She said, "and I knew them."

Trusted Contributor

@jubilant wrote:

I also missed your previous post but am so glad  your aunt just "keeps on truckin". That's how my mom is at 91. If she gets up out of one of my chairs, I say, Mom do you want this one, it's more comfortable..... she tells me, "No, I just have to keep moving".  Your aunt sounds that way, too. So happy she is recovering.   

It was in a reply to another thread that I mentioned her.  Just to keep the thread balanced and "hopeful".

Back in the spring, I had posted about my 22 year old son who is in the Army Reserve and was deployed to Detroit.  He worked in a medical unit and his job was donning and doffing PPE for the doctors and nurses.  He has never contracted Covid, that we know of.  He tested negative in Detroit before they allowed the unit to go home.

He came home, started over at the Community College, continues to work for the Walmart distribution center, and hasn't been sick a day.  But he also works out at the gym and see friends.  

I haven't asked my aunt yet if she will be getting the vaccine.  I'm sure my son will have to, for the military. 

Honored Contributor

@GrailSeeker 

Prayers for continued recovery for your Aunt Pauline!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

Blessings to her.