Esteemed Contributor

Update on fatal influenza victim

[ Edited ]

There was a followup story this morning regarding the 12 year old girl who succumbed to flu recently in my state. The strain she had was H1N1, and post death she was instrumental in saving the life of another 12 year old. The doctor who treated her was also treating the other girl when one symptom in both girls rang a bell: pain in calves of legs. As a result, the doctor knew exactly what she was dealling with and began to take defensive meansures to save the second girl. The devastated mother of the first girl said that even though nothing would bring back her own precious daughter, she is so happy that her daughter helped to save another. I would never have guessed leg pain as being connected to influenza.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Update on fatal influenza victim

This adorable child lived in our area and attended school a few blocks from our home. We did not know the family; however, I heard from a mutual friend that not only did this family lose their only daughter, but that it took 10 years to conceive her. What a brave family and heartbreaking story.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Honored Contributor

This is very sad.   Have they said whether or not she had a flu shot? 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

The family reported that she did not have a flu shot. She also had asthma. The flu affected her kidneys. So sad.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Trusted Contributor

@RainCityWoman wrote:

There was a followup story this morning regarding the 12 year old girl who succumbed to flu recently in my state. The strain she had was H1N1, and post death she was instrumental in saving the life of another 12 year old. The doctor who treated her was also treating the other girl when one symptom in both girls rang a bell: pain in calves of legs. As a result, the doctor knew exactly what she was dealling with and began to take defensive meansures to save the second girl. The devastated mother of the first girl said that even though nothing would bring by her own precious daughter, she is so happy that her daughter helped to save another. I would never have guessed leg pain as being connected to influenza.

Thanks for taking time to post this information.  

I cannot imagine - and do not even want to imagine the pain of losing a Child.

Esteemed Contributor

What a gracious and selfless response from that mother.

I can't comprehend her grief.
Esteemed Contributor

@pattypeep wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

The family reported that she did not have a flu shot. She also had asthma. The flu affected her kidneys. So sad.

Neither of the girls had had a flu shot.