Regular Contributor

Update on adverse side effects to generic Singulair

Turns out the Singulair was causing adverse side effects. Chest tightness , insomnia, and nightmares have pretty much ceased . Went off Singulair last weekend. Each day off see a little improvement. Still dealing with HIGH anxiety. Hoping this too will pass. Apparently taking it at night(as prescribed this time) and this generic caused the side effects. These same side effects are identified if you look up Singulair. FDA apparently has had to require relabeling due to these adverse side effects. Seems to be helpful for many, but there is a large population out there that cannot tolerate particularly the generic. Really scary stories from using.  Do your own research.  As always you know your own body and when something does not feel right.  Thought important enough to share here for those that may not read "wellness" forum posts which is where I posted this update.   Please share your stories or pass along to anyone you know that is taking Singulair.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Update on adverse side effects to generic Singulair

Several years ago when I was first diagnosed with asthma, I was started on singular and had chest tightness and shortness of breath at night.  I ended up in the ER where they told me to try taking it in the morning and that seemed to work.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I took Singulair (not the generic) for a short time a couple of years ago. I ended up having to stop taking it because it gave me chest tightness & per my pulse oximeter, my heart rate, just sitting on the sofa, was  over 130 beats per minute. I couldn't walk from the sofa to the kitchen without extreme shortness of breath & feeling like I was going to have a heart attack. I exercise 4-5 times weekly & that was impossible while I was taking Singulair.

Respected Contributor

i take the generic form of singulair and haven't noticed any side effects.  the problem i am experiencing is shortness of breath (asthma) due to our extreme heat.  at least that's what i think it is.  this just started the last couple weeks and i've been on the singulair for over a year.

Regular Contributor

It seems some generic brands better than others. Check yours. If ok on and should you some time in the future notice any  side effects , check to see if brand changed.  Not sure what was taken in the past only know this prescription came from a different pharmacy and maybe by taking at night contributed to ill effects.