Honored Contributor

Re: Update on WWII Veteran wanting only cards for his 96th birthday

@Ifeelwicked wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

I would consider 50,000 cards a major PIA.  That's a lot of garbage for a 96 year old to get rid of.

Is that what you seriously took away from this human interest story?? Not one kind word. Wow. 🙄

@Ifeelwicked.  In addition, at 50 cents per card postage (many greeting cards take more) and not counting the cost of the cards, that was $25,000 that could have been used for something more practical and beneficial.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Ifeelwicked wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

I would consider 50,000 cards a major PIA.  That's a lot of garbage for a 96 year old to get rid of.

Is that what you seriously took away from this human interest story?? Not one kind word. Wow. 🙄

@Ifeelwicked.  In addition, at 50 cents per card postage (many greeting cards take more) and not counting the cost of the cards, that was $25,000 that could have been used for something more practical and beneficial.

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Ifeelwicked wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Ifeelwicked wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

Again, wow. He’s the recipient of a Purple Heart. Do the “emotional” math on that. He’s worth much, much more than $25,000. And rather than continue down this path, let’s just agree to disagree. Enjoy the new year. 

Valued Contributor

@Mj12 wrote:

@IfeelwickedSuch a heartwarming story!  As you know Duane Sherman (a WW2 vet, Purple Heart recipient) - his daughter said he still looks forward to mail call every day.  He received cards from every state and 10 countries.  Wonderful gesture!

I believe so, too❣️

Respected Contributor

@Ifeelwicked  Thank you so much for letting us know of the outpouring of tributes in the form of cards for this well deserving WWII recipient.  May he have great joy at receiving such a wonderful salute from well wishing strangers near and far.

I, too, look forward to "mail call" every delivery day--one of my simple pleasures as an "old school" senior citizen.

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Ifeelwicked wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

Each post keeps getting better.  smh

Valued Contributor

@MorningLover wrote:

Thanks for posting @Ifeelwicked. A Wonderful Story..

Duane Sherman still has shrapnel in his back from when a kamikaze plane slammed into the ship he served during World War II. He was a chief sonarman aboard the USS Lamson when he lost 30 shipmates during that action.

He’s a Purple Heart recipient and a proud veteran. But like any sailor before the days of mobile phones and internet, Sherman still likes to know what comes in the daily mail.

Now living in California, Sherman looks forward to mail call every day. So in early December, he kept asking his daughter what came in the mail that day. The war veteran kept looking for birthday cards to commemorate his upcoming 96th birthday. But day after day, no such greeting. Duane was feeling a bit down...“All my friends are gone,” he said.

His daughter turned to Facebook, hoping anyone would find it in their heart to send her father a birthday card. 

“We should all be very proud of their service and honor them in any way that we can,” she said, who insisted it was a gesture to thank her father for his service rather than merely a birthday greeting.

The gestures started pouring in by the tens of thousands .....50,000 birthday cards from people in all 50 states and 10 countries. 

For Sherman, it was Christmas, Veterans Day, his Birthday and New Year’s all rolled into one.

You told Duane’s story much more beautifully than I did. He’s earned and deserves every one of those cards❣️Thank you so much!

Trusted Contributor

Options
‎01-03-2019 03:40 PM

@Kachina624 wrote:
I would consider 50,000 cards a major PIA. That's a lot of garbage for a 96 year old to get rid of.

I feel sorry for you, what a sour attitude.  I think it is great people took the time to thank this man for his service and wish him Happy Birthday.  We need to show more kindness and who cares how he gets rid of them!

Respected Contributor

@Ifeelwicked wrote:

Just reported on our morning news - A thoughtful daughter requesting cards for her WWII Vet dad’s 96th birthday Dec. 30th, all his friends have passed away, said he received 50,000 cards from well-wishers! The news showed a room filled with crate after crate of neatly stacked cards. What a beautiful show of kindness and start to the new year❣️

@Ifeelwicked

Thank you.  That’s a wonderful outcome.

Trusted Contributor

@Ifeelwicked. In addition, at 50 cents per card postage (many greeting cards take more) and not counting the cost of the cards, that was $25,000 that could have been used for something more practical and beneficial.

Another small person.  There is no better person to spend money on then a veteran.  He fought for your freedom but you must have forgotten that.  Another sour puss.

Valued Contributor

@nana59 wrote:

@Ifeelwicked wrote:

@nana59 wrote:

hope they were addressed to a post office box....i certainly wouldn't want 50,000 strangers to know my address......

His wonderful daughter set up a P.O.Box. You obviously aren’t very familiar with the internet. It takes about 1 minute to find out ANYONES address. We’re ALL there!

you obviously don't know me....i am very familiar with the internet...........

Touché! I’m just happy Amazon and UPS know where I live. Christmas was a breeze!😉