Esteemed Contributor

One way or another (for you or another buyer) the seller is going to have to fix roof, or reduce price enough that buyer is willing to fix it.

Esteemed Contributor

@gloriajean  ask your Agent to ask for a price reduction. That´s something that´s done all the time. If the HOA is too much for you, then by all means leave it alone. A new roof isn´t that all expensive.

Some people who do not have the money for the closing cost would also ask to have it included in the price of the house. For one person a $9,000 closing cost was only a few dollars more on the mortgage.

Valued Contributor

@RetRN wrote:

@Bridgegal wrote:

@Reever 

I understand what you are saying however years ago a friend told us about friends of theirs who sold their two story home for that very reason.

Over the next few years they both started having some health issues (no idea what) and their PCP told them both that going to a one floor home was the biggest mistake they ever made.   He said going up and down the stairs was so good for them and that as we age we should stay in our house with stairs as long as possible.   Only when we can't navigate stairs should we move to a single story house.   

That works great until one of them falls. That is horrible advice for elderly people. 

By the time you can't navigate stairs, finding a new place to move to & then making that move would be a huge undertaking. 

I think about that for myself. I only have a half-bath downstairs, but thought maybe I could add a shower & just stay on the 1st floor...make the dining room my bedroom.  The thought of moving is daunting!

Honored Contributor

@gloriajean 

Im a little late to the celebration but you stated the patio home needed a roof.

When we purchased this house in 2016 knew it needed one.  The seller refused to lower price because it "didn't fail. inspection but was noted for insurance purposes".  We wanted this home for the size & area -- we then thru realtor were given $4000 credit towards roof.  It wasn't leaking but was 20 years old.

In 2018 we had new roof put on with new attic fan and bathroom skylights.  The roof was $7300 and the solar skylights were $1500.   Price was high as attached neighbors (5 units attached) did not have funds to do theirs.  Therefore we paid much more.

The next year we put all hurricane window, doors and sliders I could have taken a trip around the world for what they cost😳insanely expensive😡.

Last year we put in new a/c and handler unit. and new kitchen.  This year finally having bathrooms done...and then I'm done!!!

Too bad your HOA doesn't offset the costs (some do).   Surprised realtor couldn't negotiate a "clause" for credit.

Sorry you lost this house but you'llfind something nicer i'm sure.

Respected Contributor

@tipsy wrote:

@RetRN wrote:

@Bridgegal wrote:

@Reever 

I understand what you are saying however years ago a friend told us about friends of theirs who sold their two story home for that very reason.

Over the next few years they both started having some health issues (no idea what) and their PCP told them both that going to a one floor home was the biggest mistake they ever made.   He said going up and down the stairs was so good for them and that as we age we should stay in our house with stairs as long as possible.   Only when we can't navigate stairs should we move to a single story house.   

That works great until one of them falls. That is horrible advice for elderly people. 

By the time you can't navigate stairs, finding a new place to move to & then making that move would be a huge undertaking. 

I think about that for myself. I only have a half-bath downstairs, but thought maybe I could add a shower & just stay on the 1st floor...make the dining room my bedroom.  The thought of moving is daunting!

Well, they weren't elderly.   I think they were in the same age bracket as our friends;  60's.   His point was that we move more in a 2 story house and that is good for us. 

Esteemed Contributor

We did find something else. We signed the papers this morning!  It's a small house, very pretty, in a very nice neighborhood, and it has association fees so no mainenance outside for us. This is less money than the one we opt out of, so we feel this is a good choice for us. It's a patio home, not a townhouse. Everything on one floor.  Good bye apartment!

Respected Contributor

@gloriajean wrote:

We did find something else. We signed the papers this morning!  It's a small house, very pretty, in a very nice neighborhood, and it has association fees so no mainenance outside for us. This is less money than the one we opt out of, so we feel this is a good choice for us. It's a patio home, not a townhouse. Everything on one floor.  Good bye apartment!

Great news....you must be so relieved. Good luck in your new home.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Update on Townhouses

[ Edited ]

Sounds perfect.  Congratulations!

Esteemed Contributor

@tipsy wrote:

@RetRN wrote:

@Bridgegal wrote:

@Reever 

@tipsyI agree with your post.  Yes, stairs are a good thing for exercise, but HAVING to navigate them for daily activities is not a good thing.  I get enough going into and out of my house.  If I want more, I know where I can go to get them. 

Making your first floor all you need on a daily basis is good planning.

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

@tipsy wrote:

@RetRN wrote:

@Bridgegal wrote:

@Reever 

=====

@tipsy  good idea to make a modification instead of having to move. Even if you install a small shower (and lose a little storage space) it should suffice.