Valued Contributor

Congratulations @gloriajean !  So glad you found something you like. We love living in a ranch style home.

(Just a quick question...do you know if cherry is ok? Haven't noticed her posting in awhile. Hope she is ok).

Respected Contributor

@cimeranrose 

I am so glad you mentioned cherry.  I too have missed her and hope she is well.

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Trusted Contributor

Townhome, condo, patio home, villa, cluster home. Call them what you will...the secret to a happy and peaceful life is having a good HOA. Enjoy your new home. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@gloriajean    Very smart to select a place all on one level.  You'll appreciate that more and more as you get older.  I have a one story rancher and I'd never make it upstairs on some days if I had two stories.  Congratulations on your new home.

I'm almost 80 yrs old and run up and down the stairs 15 times a day. Keeps me in shape.

Esteemed Contributor

@Q4u wrote:

Congrats!  We've moved into town and have been loving our home for about a year.  Took a year to sell our home outside of town (too big with 5 bedrooms/3baths and 5 acres).  Built out basement with additional patio, etc.  After it sold we had a particularly hard time finding what we wanted, at least 3 bedrooms, 2 baths, 2 car garage and enough room to put our motorhome.  DH and I went all over town and he decided to take me to a house (not for sale.... ) to show me what he liked.  Nice brick one level home, 2 car garage with a 2 car outbuilding and 1/2 acre.  I liked it but it wasn't for sale.  So we kept looking and we made two other offers and were beat out of the sales because we weren't fast enough.

Then I found a listing on Realtor.com that had been posted an hour prior.  Showed DH and he was astounded, it was THE house he loved.  Called our Realtor immediately and she dropped everything and met us at the house within 15 minutes.  We walked around the home and it was perfect!  We agreed to put in a sale contract and our Realtor worked to get it to the Sellers that afternoon.  They accepted and we finally had a wonderful house after living in our motorhome for almost two years!! 

We LOVE this house.  And.... I will never, ever move again..... LOL! Woman Wink  Not kidding!    

Glad u found the house of ur dreams. I've never been in a motor home - can't imagine living in it. 19 yrs ago, I knew I had to get out of my "townhome from hell" - and checked out brand new houses on-line (I had just bought a computer). I drove 45 minutes west - and there were several brand new tracts being built in 2001. I went to the models - and the salespeople in one tract were especially helpful to me - even though I didn't qualify to buy anything. I wrote my name on their list - and a month later, many people were called to the sales office to choose a house (from 12 homes) in phase 4. They called my name - and I almost fell over. Fortunately, I had a very creative financial guy --- and I LOVE my house!!!! 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Update on Townhouses

[ Edited ]

@gloriajean wrote:

Yes, this is actually called a Patio Home, not a townhouse. I just found that out. Everything we need is one story and only one step to get into it.

What I was talking about before is I never saw any china cabinets anywhere in the dining areas.  Only table and chairs, so that must be old fashioned.. It has a gorgious patio off the Livingroom, and it's all privacy fenced. Closing is July 15th.  Can hardly wait, 

Patio Homes are usually not attached. My dining room set with hutch is 53 yrs old - guess the hutch is passe. 

Esteemed Contributor

That house needed a roof replacement, so the deal is off.  We are still looking now.  But not anything with association fees,as that makes the price too high to live with.  We found that out.  We will find the perfect house for us with payments less than we are paying now for rent.

Honored Contributor

Re: Update on Townhouses

[ Edited ]

I'm surprised your realtor couldn't negotiate a price discount or have them fix the roof before closing.  It's such a small expense for a small home like that.  My roof on my townhouse 2 years ago was $4500.

That is done all the time here, especially right now.  My little development is a hot market of various size townhouses (2 and 3 story, full size and piggyback size).

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Respected Contributor

@gloriajean  Congratulations!  I retired just last week and have been looking for a single story condo with an attached garage and private entrance back home, 2,000+ miles from where I've been living for 20+ years. I found one last week that sold in a day, before my realtor got back to me. Your find is an inspiration. Enjoy your new home!

Esteemed Contributor

@gloriajean wrote:

That house needed a roof replacement, so the deal is off.  We are still looking now.  But not anything with association fees,as that makes the price too high to live with.  We found that out.  We will find the perfect house for us with payments less than we are paying now for rent.

That’s quite disappointing.  My neighbor replaced the roof on her home when it went under contract.  Some sellers will consider that.