Regular Contributor

Update on Sweet taste in mouth post

Hi everyone.  I wanted to update you on my previous post. I called my Dr on Wednesday with concern over the taste in my mouth. She told me to quit going on Google and scaring myself and she couldnt get me in this week but I already had an appointment scheduled for this coming Wednesday.  She said if I get worse to call and maybe she could get me in otherwise come Wed.  I was relieved and felt much better already.  I took this to mean its not too serious and it could wait.  At this point i was getting frequent headaches but they were not real painful and went away easily so I barely mentioned them in my call to the dr.  right after that call I developed anohter headache and it was pretty bad.  Mostly pressure, no pain.  I took some excedrin and it went away. On Thursday I got anohter one and it lasted all day and even excedrin did not knock it out very easily.  on Friday I got another one pretty soon after getting up in the morning and knowing my dr was not in on friday and not wanting to have this the entire weekend I decided to go to the clinic.  I was diagnosed with Allergies!  He said I'm very congested and there is no sign of an infection.  This is strange because I have absolutely no congestion in my nose that I am awared of.  No cold symptoms, nothing.  He told me to use Flonase and follow up on Wed with my dr.  Since then I have had non stop pressure headache.  He said it could take a few days to get relief.  I have all but forgotten my taste problem LOL.  I added zyrtek to my regimen  Today I have had a headache since I woke up and waited awhile to take the Flonase to make sure I needed it.  It seemed to have worked and the headache subsided. It is slowing comeing back now but feels less severe.  I feel like it is getting a little better slowly.  I'm not used to this type of headache and having it every day all day.

Let me know if this sounds familar. I have a big concert to attend Friday and a family get together on Sunday and sure hope this is gone by then.  

Thanks for any and all thoughts.

Honored Contributor

Re: Update on Sweet taste in mouth post

I think she gave you good advice, Is Flonase a decongestant?

Frequent Contributor

What you are describing sounds like sinus or migraine headaches that might be triggered by the weather/allergies. You are probably having sinus pressure which is what the congestion is. Th.e decongestion medicine is helping the headache because it helps relieve the sinus congestion. 

Are you you sleeping with the windows open at night? That may be why it is worse in the morning when you wake up. Sinus headaches can be felt as soon as you wake up in the morning. 

Try some warm compresses on your face, especially on the sinus area, to help open them up. Drink lots of fluids too. And some saline spray into your nose may help too. 

If course, if you don’t feel better, go back and see your doctor. 

Super Contributor

@dennylilly   I am glad to hear that your condition isnt serious.

For future, if you would be so kind, please break up 1 whole paragraph into several smaller ones.

1 ongoing paragraph is difficult to read. Thanks!Heart

Honored Contributor

Try saline spray and see if that helps. Be careful what you take as a decongestant if you have high blood pressure. Some of them can make your BP soar. Also try a hot shower and let the water pour over your head as long as you can...it really can help get things going...you may just be so clogged up you don’t even realize it. I had this issue last month but the shower and saline spray helped me the most. Also try not to be outdoors early in the morning or at dusk...it’s when pollen is at its highest.
Esteemed Contributor

I don’t know if this is relevant to your issues, but I will share my experience this past winter.  I had a series of sinus infections, rounds of antibiotics, which didn’t end my problem.   Many headaches, and my PCP discontinued my antibiotics.  Then he ordered several scans of my head.  He referred me to an ENT who reviewed all my scans (multiple tests, as my PCP if a very thorough internal medicine doc).  He diagnosed my problem as an inflamed nerve in my forehead, which was the epicenter of where my headaches were centered.  He prescribed a specific decongestant, which solved the problem.

I was very relieved to find the answer to my problem was not serious and immensely relieved to be free of headaches.  All the tests I had were to ensure it wasn’t the worst case scenario.  As I said, my PCP is very thorough, and he wants to check out every possibility.

Good luck to you.  I am sure what you are experiencing is due to a minor issue, just like me.  All my best.

Esteemed Contributor

@dennylilly  A warm shower should clear your sinus' up each morning. Also, try a bowl of oatmeal sweetened with a 1/4 tsp. of local natural honey (from a nearby farmer's market), which will help alleviate the allergins. I haven't taken a prescription med. for allergies in three years and have never taken OTC stuff.  

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Trusted Contributor

@PamfromCT wrote:

I don’t know if this is relevant to your issues, but I will share my experience this past winter.  I had a series of sinus infections, rounds of antibiotics, which didn’t end my problem.   Many headaches, and my PCP discontinued my antibiotics.  Then he ordered several scans of my head.  He referred me to an ENT who reviewed all my scans (multiple tests, as my PCP if a very thorough internal medicine doc).  He diagnosed my problem as an inflamed nerve in my forehead, which was the epicenter of where my headaches were centered.  He prescribed a specific decongestant, which solved the problem.

I was very relieved to find the answer to my problem was not serious and immensely relieved to be free of headaches.  All the tests I had were to ensure it wasn’t the worst case scenario.  As I said, my PCP is very thorough, and he wants to check out every possibility.

Good luck to you.  I am sure what you are experiencing is due to a minor issue, just like me.  All my best.

It was interesting to read your post.  This spring I had kind of a similar (and at the time to me, very strange) thing happen in regard to headaches.  For a couple of weeks, I would experience a mild, but annoying headache in the morning.  It would be a little different than my usual headaches, there were sort of twinges in my head along with the achey feeling.  Advil would get rid of them, but they would return toward the end of the day.  I began to be concerned.

Then one night, after shampooing my hair, it suddenly became very painful to comb out the tangles.  It felt like the slightest pressure was so painful.  That night my scalp started itching, and felt sore and inflamed.  I could hardly keep my head on the pillow, and couldn't even get any sleep.

Long story short, it did subside in a day or two.  Gradually it hurt less to comb my hair, and my scalp returned to normal and the headaches disappeared completely.

I never sought medical attention for this.....I would have had to had the condition not disappeared, of course. 

I did Google my symptoms and came to the conclusion I had some inflamed nerves in my scalp area.  That's what it felt like.

It sounds like I had something similar to what you experienced.

It's really weird the strange things that can happen to you physically.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@blueroses47 , I have come to a conclusion that our weather here in CT is a factor.  Both a friend and my DIL were on several rounds of antibiotics to deal with sinus issues, which was new to them.  We now have tornado warnings in CT, and some of them have hit.  That is something new!  Something has changed.

Normally I have an intense dislike of Big Pharma.  But when you feel so sick, Big Pharma becomes your friend.  Odd, isn’t it??  My daughter is a research scientist working in a university setting.  Always has said she does not want to ever work for Big Pharma.  Too much emphasis on profits, in her view.  

Esteemed Contributor

@PamfromCT  Completely agree weather, especially the barometer, does play a huge factor in health (headaches, arthritis, Lupus, and so many others).

Money screams; wealth whispers.