Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Update on Sweet taste in mouth post

Some of the prescription allergy medications do not give immediate relief, but build up in your system.  For those types of medication, it is better to go ahead and start taking as early as possible and not wait for the symptoms to get bad.  If you know your trigger, it's even better to start taking before the trigger rather than waiting for the symptoms.  And you would keep taking until your trigger season is over. I don't know specifically about Flonase though.

Respected Contributor

@dennylilly sounds like blocked sinuses.  I had this over the past week.  No real migraine headache, but a terrific earache when swallowing.  Blockage seemed to be on the right side only where the earache was involved.  Took flonase and it helped somewhat but took a few days to get rid of aches.  Very uncomfortable to say the least.  I think it was because it had rained in my New England area and there was too much mold as a cause of the rain.  Definitely allergies.  I sound relief by running hot steaming water in my bathroom basin and puttin a towel over my head to capture the steam  It worked pretty good.

Regular Contributor

@cherry wrote:

I think she gave you good advice, Is Flonase a decongestant?

it is a steroid spray that can be used everyday if necessary.  I cannot take a decongestant due to high blood pressure, only an antihistamine which is what Zyrtec is.

Regular Contributor

@nikkisaunt1 wrote:

What you are describing sounds like sinus or migraine headaches that might be triggered by the weather/allergies. You are probably having sinus pressure which is what the congestion is. Th.e decongestion medicine is helping the headache because it helps relieve the sinus congestion. 

Are you you sleeping with the windows open at night? That may be why it is worse in the morning when you wake up. Sinus headaches can be felt as soon as you wake up in the morning. 

Try some warm compresses on your face, especially on the sinus area, to help open them up. Drink lots of fluids too. And some saline spray into your nose may help too. 

If course, if you don’t feel better, go back and see your doctor. 

I wasnt clear.  I wake up with no headache but one develops as the day goes on. I was waiting to use the flonase to see if I need it but I think I should just use it first thing since it is safe to use every day.

Regular Contributor

@Maestra1 wrote:

@dennylilly   I am glad to hear that your condition isnt serious.

For future, if you would be so kind, please break up 1 whole paragraph into several smaller ones.

1 ongoing paragraph is difficult to read. Thanks!Heart

i apoligize,  I am not that great at writing.  This is the way i talk also lol!

Regular Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:
Try saline spray and see if that helps. Be careful what you take as a decongestant if you have high blood pressure. Some of them can make your BP soar. Also try a hot shower and let the water pour over your head as long as you can...it really can help get things going...you may just be so clogged up you don’t even realize it. I had this issue last month but the shower and saline spray helped me the most. Also try not to be outdoors early in the morning or at dusk...it’s when pollen is at its highest.

The doctor did say I don't know im congested because I am probably used to it.  Strange because I know what congested feels like and I can breath fine  

Regular Contributor

@tobes wrote:

@dennylilly sounds like blocked sinuses.  I had this over the past week.  No real migraine headache, but a terrific earache when swallowing.  Blockage seemed to be on the right side only where the earache was involved.  Took flonase and it helped somewhat but took a few days to get rid of aches.  Very uncomfortable to say the least.  I think it was because it had rained in my New England area and there was too much mold as a cause of the rain.  Definitely allergies.  I sound relief by running hot steaming water in my bathroom basin and puttin a towel over my head to capture the steam  It worked pretty good.

the dr looked in my nose and said I am really congested so I guess he can tell that sort of thing.  I was so surprised it wasn't an infection that I forgot many follow up questions. LOL  I will see my reg dr on Wed so I'll ask her.  Had to take some excedrin just a little while ago because the slight headache all day was gettng to me.  I hope it helps

Frequent Contributor

It’s amazing how badly allergies can make you feel. I go through two to three bout a year and basically feel like I have the flu for a month. Even with medication my headaches are terrrible. The allergies almost always turns into a sinus infection.