Respected Contributor

Re: Update on Pit Bull that attacked neighbor

Our local SPCA called our vet to check and make sure we took our previous cat in for shots and check-ups. What they would do if we did not have any other animals, not sure? 

Pit bulls and pit mixes. I see so many of them on the facebook ladies groups. They are missing and they are looking for their pets.. why they are not in a fenced yard or leash is beyond me but every day there is postings of dogs missing.  I know many say it is not the breed but owner but sorry pit bulls scare me. Then people give pets away over facebook yard sale sites ...free to good home..what constitutes a good home and how do you know it is going to one? These dogs are passed from family to family given away like day old bread...same for cats too..and they are warned all the time not to give cats away that way as they are used for bait...just overall sad all the way around.

My best friend had a neighbor who had a pit bull from pup on up...one day it was home with their young daughter and the door bell rang..the daughter put her arm out to keep the dog from running outside and he went into attack mode...went right for her neck..she was about 13..spent three weeks in the hospital in serious condition and to this day cannot speak as her voice box was destroyed, she has scars galore inside and out...and is a very frightened young lady these days.

I truly believe it is instinct. the dog was mad it could not get out at the person at the door..

Respected Contributor

was it a shelter or a rescue? I have seen rescues who take in agressive dogs who are then worked with by an animal trainer. Not to be adopted out, just to stay at the rescue.

Esteemed Contributor

DH was walking our Lab Sunday morning.  He was attacked by a pit bull down the street.  The dog was loose but had a muzzle.  DH grew up with large dogs and has no fear.  He chased the dog off back up into its yard.  There was quite a ruckus.  No came out from the house.  When he went back down the driveway, the dog came at him again the moment his back was turned.  Still no one came out of the house.  This time he had to kick the dog to get it away from our Lab.

When he came home minutes later, I made him go right back down there to speak to the owner.  It is a military family.  The husband is gone a lot.  The Woman was in tears telling him how gentle the dog was with her kids.

This family is new to the neighbourhood.  I have since found out that another Lab was attacked by this dog.  A chocolate Lab, like mine.

There is a school bus stop for elementary kids at the bottom of their driveway.  I told all my friends and neighbours, especially those with children, about the incident.  I am afraid this is an accident waiting to happen.  LM

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Whenever I see this thread title, am I the only one who sees this?

Thinking, “Ah, man...I thought he was a good guy!”

😄 Fireball

5CED9F86-04A8-4089-9FD6-A8977FE81FCF.jpeg

Respected Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:

DH was walking our Lab Sunday morning.  He was attacked by a pit bull down the street.  The dog was loose but had a muzzle.  DH grew up with large dogs and has no fear.  He chased the dog off back up into its yard.  There was quite a ruckus.  No came out from the house.  When he went back down the driveway, the dog came at him again the moment his back was turned.  Still no one came out of the house.  This time he had to kick the dog to get it away from our Lab.

When he came home minutes later, I made him go right back down there to speak to the owner.  It is a military family.  The husband is gone a lot.  The Woman was in tears telling him how gentle the dog was with her kids.

This family is new to the neighbourhood.  I have since found out that another Lab was attacked by this dog.  A chocolate Lab, like mine.

There is a school bus stop for elementary kids at the bottom of their driveway.  I told all my friends and neighbours, especially those with children, about the incident.  I am afraid this is an accident waiting to happen.  LM

If your town has a leash law, print it and give it to them. To open the door and let any dog outside without a leash is crazy.

Esteemed Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:

SO a dog running up to you and barking is an attack, wow good to know.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Our county kennel will not adopt out dogs who they deem dangerous.  They work with them and if they cannot train that dog, the dog is euthanized.  There have been a few cases recently where our county kennel had to euthanize a dog because they attacked volunteers.

Sometimes depending on the situation, our kennel will only allow a dog they have problems with to go to a rescue group for rehab. They won't allow it adopted out.   

As an fyi, I'm not sure if the same laws apply everywhere but in our county, because the kennel is a government agency, they are not allowed to screen adopters nor turn anyone away from adopting a dog through them.  They know full well some of these people aren't going to do the right thing by these dogs.  Only rescue groups and shelters can screen potential adopters. 

Every dog in our county kennel right now is a pit or pit mix.

Respected Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Lilysmom wrote:

I'm still wondering why the dog was muzzled and how did it attack?

Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Lilysmom wrote:

If her husband foiled an attack, thank goodness. That's was main thought from @Lilysmom's story.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Lilysmom wrote:

If her husband foiled an attack, thank goodness. That's was main thought from @Lilysmom's story.

Just clarifying what constitutes an attack.  Going to have to file a police report on those poodles up the street that come charging down the driveway barking when I walk by.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.