Honored Contributor

Re: Update on Pit Bull that attacked neighbor

It was my understanding that even the no-kill shelters put down terminally ill and dangerous-to-human animals. 

Honored Contributor

i have not heard of no kill states, but i have heard of no kill shelters and no kill communities.

We love our companion animals, and so many of us are now finding our new best friends through adoption at a shelter, rather than buying from a pet store.

It’s no secret that pets are being euthanized due to lack of space, and it’s happening at an alarming rate. There are 5,500 dogs euthanized each day in the United States, and thankfully, so many great shelters are working to fight that statistic. The no-kill movement in particular is dedicated to reducing the euthanasia of healthy pets, and creating more effective shelter systems.

via onegreenplanet.org

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

When we adopted our cat, the Shelter  - and it was a county shelter not a pet store - gave us erroneous information about her background.  Also, despite it being their policy to check out people adopting animals, they simply gave us our cat (for an adoption fee) and to my knowledge did nothing to investigate us.

This does not give me confidence in the current situation.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Scooby Doo wrote:

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

Maybe the information is not true.

Animal Shelters and Rescues do not adopt out dogs who are dangerous.  They put them down.  It sounds like a story you would tell someone...maybe a child so that they would not be too upset over losing their pet.

I wondered about that.

That's not necessarily true.  Most of Michael Vicks fighting dogs were not put down.  They were socialized and adopted out.  The ones that couldn't be socialized are spending the rest of their lives at Best Friends Santuary.  Depends on whether or not you live in a no-kill State. 

Michael Vick’s dogs and these Pitt bulls are not the same.  Vick’s dogs  were forced to do what they did and they did not  attack humans with no provocation.  His dogs were tortured if they did not fight.

Any dog who attacks a human and causes severe injury cannot trusted.  I know of no agency that will rehab and rehome them. The liability would be extremely high and they already work on a shoestring budget.   They could go to sanctuaries where they will live out their lives, but most of the time, violent animals must be turned over to animal control where they are put down. In addition, their owners face heavy fines.

Respected Contributor

The pit bull should have been put to sleep the first time it attacked.

Honored Contributor

@saltysails wrote:

When my dogs were attacked by two pitbulls and myself with scratches, as I saved my small dog (other dog had run home), the owner allowed them to be put down.  

About five years ago, two Pitt bulls who lived down the street from us, jumped over their fence and chased me and my two little dogs while we were in our driveway. I screamed and yelled as ran.  I was afraid that my puppies were going to get killed.  

I finally got my dogs on our deck and slammed the gate shut.  The two Pitts were snarling and growling and trying to get over the gate when my DH shot them dead.

These dogs attacked my elderly neighbor’s dog while she was out walking and caused harm.  The Pitt’s owners paid the Vet bills.  The two dogs would run to the fence in their yard every time  someone walked passed them.  Everyone avoided walking past their house.  The fence clearly was not tall enough.  As far as,I know, they never attacked a human, but they would go after other dogs.

After  their dogs were killed, these idiots went out and got two more Pitts who did the same thing...barking and trying to get over the fence.  This went in for a while, then finally the dogs were gone.  I have no idea what happened to them.

Honored Contributor

@Isobel Archer wrote:

When we adopted our cat, the Shelter  - and it was a county shelter not a pet store - gave us erroneous information about her background.  Also, despite it being their policy to check out people adopting animals, they simply gave us our cat (for an adoption fee) and to my knowledge did nothing to investigate us.

This does not give me confidence in the current situation.

@Isobel Archer. Expecting a municipal shelter to investigate every adopter is unrealistic.  They simply don't have the funds to hire staff to do this.  I've worked closely with a rescue group for 15 years.  We have potential adopter fill out an extensive application, do a home visit and interview the adopters, but we are all volunteers and don't have a huge number of dogs or adopters.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I have a problem every time I see M Vick's name. He turns my stomach more so than other animal abusers. 

Respected Contributor

@Isobel Archer  The dog may be rehomed to Best Friends Animal Society in Kanab, UT; this organization took in and rehabbed the fighting dogs from the Michael Vick's abuse.

Some of these dogs were able to be adopted, but most have lived out their natural lives being loved and cared for in Dogtown.

I support this animal organization and it's mission to Save Them All.

This would be a 'best scenario' for this canine.

Honored Contributor

@maestramaestra wrote:

@Isobel Archer  The dog may be rehomed to Best Friends Animal Society in Kanab, UT; this organization took in and rehabbed the fighting dogs from the Michael Vick's abuse.

Some of these dogs were able to be adopted, but most have lived out their natural lives being loved and cared for in Dogtown.

I support this animal organization and it's mission to Save Them All.

This would be a 'best scenario' for this canine.

If you read the information on their website, you will see that they do not accept aggressive animals.  They have limited resources and these animals must be housed separately. And it is very expensive to rehab them.

in addition, they do not accept every animal who needs to be there.  You almost have have to have a referral from one of their partner shelters.  

i doubt that the pit who  attacked a human being would be able to go there.  Vick’s dogs were not aggressive to humans. They were FORCED to fight and they were tortured to do so.  Big difference.  Some dogs are just aggressive by nature and should not be pets. They cannot be rehabbed as they are too dangerous.

i love dogs and help them anyway I can, but am have a clear mind when it comes to aggression.

Best Friends Animal Society does put dogs down who are sick and those that are aggressive. No Kill means they do not kill adoptable dogs who can live with others and have a good life.

More than likely, a municipality has rules and laws about aggressive dogs and they will       Ask the owner to surrender their animal if it bites someone.