Esteemed Contributor

Re: Update on Chloe's dental procedure

Definitely do not break open capsules with "pill material" inside -- it is very bitter. Put it in a pill pocket or wrap it tightly in cheese for her to gobble as a treat. Same as the steroid -- it's one of the worst tasting pills ever -- conceal it in something. Do not crush these and mix in food; they can smell it and won't get all of it unless you somehow get them to eat every morsel (which they usually won't).

Another thing you might do is look at tutorials on giving pills on You Tube. You might be able to chuck them down her throat with a bit of butter or pill pocket on the outside of them. This method worked best for us with our dogs and cats.

A third idea: get your vet to write an Rx for a compounding pharmacy, that can mix medicine in highly potent, dog-friendly stink things to get them to eat it. Smiley Happy

Your poor baby, shaking on your lap. But she's on your lap, not hiding or retreating from the family -- she knows you love her and you're trying to help her. Try to act as confident as possible when giving pills and if she takes one, reward her immediately with a treat and lots of praise and hugs.

Super Contributor

I am so sorry to read about Chloe....but she is so blessed (as are you!) to have you as her Mom! The ideas others gave about giving her the pills are good ones. We have typically been successful using "sticky" cheese slices or peanut butter or a tiny bit of hot dog. Our two are so sneaky about picking out the pills, and I so understand how frustrating it is--especially when you are wanting her to feel better. Best wishes and keep us posted as you feel able--

Honored Contributor

I went through an entire small ""loaf"" of Velveeta last week just using it to give pills to dogs. It works extremely well though. They love it.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Frequent Contributor

So sorry about your sweet girl. Please don't open the capsules or crush the pills in her food. Call your vet and ask if you can get the pills in a formula type cream that you can put inside her ears. We have a special needs cat, her head bobbles and it is almost impossible to give her pills, we use the cream formula of the pills and rub inside the tops of her ears. Works great. They should have that available. Easy to use, switch ears on each application. No stress for her. Good luck!

Trusted Contributor

Thanks for all the wonderful ideas and wishes. I bought a bag of peanut butter pill pockets this morning and to my great surprise she liked them! Hopefully she'll like them again tonight for round two of meds . Now will wait and see what next Friday brings when they do another blood test.

Chlemma

Honored Contributor

I'm so glad she likes the Pill Pockets! I thought she would. All of my dogs and cats that I've had to use them for over the years have liked them.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Chloe had another blood test yesterday. The doctor called me this morning and he was very happy. Her platelet count is now normal and he reduced her steroids to once a day. Will follow up with more blood work in two weeks. So right now I am ""cautiously optimistic"" as the saying goes .

Super Contributor

Love good news. Thanks for update.
Super Contributor

This is great news. If the blood work is still normal in two weeks, will he then do the dental?

NickNack1
(formerly NickNack)
Esteemed Contributor

I have read your posts O/P and I am glad your dog is doing better. Sending more healing thoughts your way.