Trusted Contributor

Update on Chloe's dental procedure

Chloe's dental procedure was cancelled this morning. The blood test showed her platelet count was very low. Doctor said he could do the cleaning but if she needed to have a tooth extracted he would be very worried doing so due to such a low count. They took some more blood and sent it out to find the cause. Since Chloe is 14 I am very worried and will anxiously await the results coming maybe late today, most likely tomorrow. They also found her kidney function was a bit low. {#emotions_dlg.sad}

Respected Contributor

Re: Update on Chloe's dental procedure

Sad news. But she's home now so that's good. Decreased kidney function in a 14 year old dog is not really unusual. Low platelet count is worrisome. It may be real or it could be that the platelets all clumped together creating a false reading. It's good that they are looking into that more thoroughly. Chloe didn't get into anything like onions or aspirin did she? Have you looked her over for any bruises? Bruising without trauma is one indicator her blood is not clotting well. Just remember that as far a Chloe knows she's home, safe and happy. Please give her an extra pat for me and keep us posted!

Honored Contributor

I'm really sorry to hear this. I hope they figure out why her platelet count is so low. I know she really needs to have the dental. Is she able to eat anything now?

I had a dog with low platelets. They were all clumped together, so that was the reason. She was a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, and that's common for the breed (the clumping platelets).

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

Try not to panic. It may be something they can use prednisone to treat. Is anything pollinating? It may be an autoimmune issue. Wait patiently for the results and then you can make a plan of action. Good thoughts coming your way.

doxie

Trusted Contributor

Thank you all for your kind words, it means a lot to me. No, Chloe did not ingest any onions or aspirin. She has a lot of fur so it is difficult to see if she is bruising, but I checked her abdomen and all is clear. She still has her appetite, but will only eat soft foods. The doctor did mention something about the possibility of clumping platelets, but did not elaborate. Should get the lab results sometime tomorrow.

Once again, thank you so very much for responding.

Chlemma

Super Contributor

I hope Chloe is doing okay!

Esteemed Contributor

Prayers and good wishes coming your for Chloe and the test results. It's hard when they get older and face health challenges, but the fact that she's 14 says volumes about the excellent care you've provided to her....and that you love her dearly. Try to stay positive in your thinking and know we're pulling for her.
Trusted Contributor

New lab test came back showing her platelet count is, as suspected, below normal. Doctor said an infection is not likely, perhaps a tumor but not cancer because her red and white blood cells are normal. He put her on prednisone for a week, then will do another blood test.

Chloe is not happy taking pills. I have been mixing the antibiotic in her food by opening the capsule, she smells it and lets it sit for a couple of hours before eating. I tried peanut butter, honey butter and cool whip, turns up her nose at them. Now I have two pills to add, the steroid and famitidine so that is more challenge. She likes cauliflower with cream sauce so I'm thinking I will try mixing the pills in that. Wish I knew what they put in her heart worm medicine because she loves loves them lol.

You're right Sammycat, we do love her and I hate to put her through all this. Yesterday was traumatic for her and she trembled in my lap (well, part of my lap that she could fit on :-) - last night. Thank you for your kind words.

Chlemma

Respected Contributor

So sorry to hear about Chloe's results. I hope the pred makes her feel better quickly. Have you tried sticking the meds in marshmallows? She's got quite refined taste wanting cauliflower in cream sauce! Find out if you can crush everything up and add some tuna juice then squirt it in her mouth? I know she's not a cat but I have never yet had a dog refuse a taste of a tuna sandwich and the strong taste of tuna may mask the medicine smell. At my vet they have sample treats of the chewy heartworm preventative without the medication in it to see if the dog would like it. Maybe your vet could contact the company for a bag of samples? It can't hurt to ask. My best wishes to Chloe and you.

Honored Contributor

Have you tried putting her pills in Pill Pockets? Most dogs really like them.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau