Honored Contributor

Re: Update :Thai cave - now total of 8 reported as rescued but unconfirmed UPDATED

Such good news so far!!!  

And am SO glad they told the millions of media to get out!  It. Is. Ridiculous.  Sometimes.  All the trucks, equipment, and newscasters with their faces in everybody else's face.

Yesterday morning, a woman newscaster, who said they were booted out of the cave area (my words), stood at the entrance to the hospital.  So all she could report on was the fact that they would be bringing the boys 'in this door'.  And she kept walking in and out of the entrance.  It was rather stupid, if you ask me.

Sometimes I get the feeling that they are waiting for a  disaster to happen!  It's a news story!  (Like when they show a pickup truck hitting a pedestrian and it's caught on camera.  They'll show it.  Over and over and over and over....)

Let the rescuers and the families have their space.  They NEED it.  It's much safer (and more private).  News junk can stay behind the barriers.  

We'll get the story, in the end.  All I've been hoping for is the safe return of all the boys and no more lives lost.Heart

Honored Contributor

Re: Update :Thai cave - now total of 8 reported as rescued but unconfirmed UPDATED

From what i heard this morning, the families haven't even been able to see their boys yet.   Yet, the media wants to catch a glimpse of something....anything!!!  Just so they can be the first to report it.

Respected Contributor

@Krimpette  the media can be unruly and quite over the top - for here, much less the area near the cave.  i imagine the government wants to be sure that families know info before the mass media.  i heard that the children are quarantined - not sure if that is true but considering what they might have encountered, perhaps a smart precaution.

Esteemed Contributor

@Krimpette wrote:

From what i heard this morning, the families haven't even been able to see their boys yet.   Yet, the media wants to catch a glimpse of something....anything!!!  Just so they can be the first to report it.

Why haven't the families been able to see the boys yet?  Was this in media reports?

Cogito ergo sum
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Those rescued are undergoing medical checks in the

hospital while in quarantine, they are not yet allowed

close contact with relatives due to fear of infections.

Medical staff involved in the rescue mission said their first

assessments of the boys at the hospital will focus on their

breathing, signs of hypothermia and an airborne lung

infection known as 'cave disease'.This is caused by bat

and bird droppings and can be fatal if untreated and

allowed to spread to other parts of the body.

Chiang Rai health officials have told the Thai media that

the families of the children can see them later tonight but

“no hugging, no kissing” until their blood results are known.

Honored Contributor

Sweetbay,

The medical team believes (justifiably, I think) that the rescued boys should spend one to two days in quarantine to be certain that they did not catch an infectious disease while in the cave.  They are not taking any chances, which is prudent.  All precautionary.

Honored Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia. From reports earlier this morning, those rescued have been guarantined to be sure they are free from diseases, given the conditions they lived in for the past couple of weeks. (Not wanting to be too graphic here.)

Honored Contributor

God bless all these folks -- those rescued or to be rescued, the rescuers and all assisting in this heroic endeavor.  

...so many threats to health and well-being that we do not even think about.

Esteemed Contributor

I got up early today, and the first thing I did was go to CNN to see if they had an update. I was elated at what I heard. They also said that this second group was in better condition than the first grouop through. I am extremely nervous about the final group. This is truly a miracle so far.

Esteemed Contributor

@Krimpette wrote:

That's because the public has an insatiable need to know. We criticize the media and at the same dime we demand to know. The reason the families have not seen their kids yet is the boys are in quarantine as a precaution. They don't want the families bringing anything in to the air tight room, and they don't want the boys to pass some unknown bacteria they picked up in the cave to everyone else. They are taking as many precautions with this as they can. They also are trying to determine if the deprivation of full oxygen in the cave has affected the boys in a lasting way. Keeping my fingers crossed on that too.