Honored Contributor

Update On "I Am Angry And Sick With Grief" Thread

Many of  you may remember my post about an unfortunate incident with my Dad at the nursing home he was in.  I heard from our state  dept. of health today.  While the surveyors (investigators) failed to get enough evidence to support a violation of Federal and/or State violations in my dad's case, they did find an area while at the facility that was in violation of some  regulations unrelated to my complaint.

Bottom line:  I have a 14 page report with the stories of 3 other patients...details and all...two of whom have now been moved to other facilities better able to take care of them or at the families request to move them.  The home has to correct these problems that could also affect and endanger others.

I have an account of how the Administrator has to proceed and even her own words and excuses for these "happenings"  in these cases.....which, imo, sucks. She is quite young.  I am hoping this will make a better administrator out of her and that she has learned a thing or two. I was disappointed at first because I felt my Dad had not been vindicated..but when I read all 14 pages of the findings of the investigators who visited this home unannounced several times and called them into account (to the point people were  moved out.....I am so glad I went ahead with this.

Many of you know we moved Dad out of that home a couple days after the incident.  He liked the new home but died 2 weeks later. We buried him July 3rd.  I looked up to the heavens today and said...."This one's for you, Dad! What happened to you is helping others."  It wasn't for naught. 

I want to thank everyone here who supported me though this hard place.  I am grateful for all the support you gave me (and my Dad).  I hope he's up there doing a "happy dance".  Knowing my dad, he probably is!

Honored Contributor

Re: Update On "I Am Angry And Sick With Grief" Thread

I'm so sorry for your loss @jubilant.  I'm glad you followed through and hopefully some things will change at that home.  I do remember your post.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@NickNack

Thank you.  It is bitter sweet in a way.  

Honored Contributor

@jubilant

First and foremost, I send heartfelt condolences on the passing of your dad. 

You did help others and your dad is proud of you❤️

Trusted Contributor

I am so sorry for the loss of your dad, and, also, because of the ordeal that you had to go through.

What a service you did by being persistent and documenting the situations that you did.  You are holding people accountable, and that could have quite an impact on MANY people.  You did a good thing!

Respected Contributor

Did the abuser go to jail?

Trusted Contributor

I have tears reading this.  Know that you did the best for your dad.  We all wish you peace.

Honored Contributor

@jubilant wrote:

Many of  you may remember my post about an unfortunate incident with my Dad at the nursing home he was in.  I heard from our state  dept. of health today.  While the surveyors (investigators) failed to get enough evidence to support a violation of Federal and/or State violations in my dad's case, they did find an area while at the facility that was in violation of some  regulations unrelated to my complaint.

Bottom line:  I have a 14 page report with the stories of 3 other patients...details and all...two of whom have now been moved to other facilities better able to take care of them or at the families request to move them.  The home has to correct these problems that could also affect and endanger others.

I have an account of how the Administrator has to proceed and even her own words and excuses for these "happenings"  in these cases.....which, imo, sucks. She is quite young.  I am hoping this will make a better administrator out of her and that she has learned a thing or two. I was disappointed at first because I felt my Dad had not been vindicated..but when I read all 14 pages of the findings of the investigators who visited this home unannounced several times and called them into account (to the point people were  moved out.....I am so glad I went ahead with this.

Many of you know we moved Dad out of that home a couple days after the incident.  He liked the new home but died 2 weeks later. We buried him July 3rd.  I looked up to the heavens today and said...."This one's for you, Dad! What happened to you is helping others."  It wasn't for naught. 

I want to thank everyone here who supported me though this hard place.  I am grateful for all the support you gave me (and my Dad).  I hope he's up there doing a "happy dance".  Knowing my dad, he probably is!

@jubilant

This has been so awful for you and the family, my heart goes out to you.

You did a good thing protecting others, and I have the feeling your Dad IS doing the happy dance Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Shawnie

No.  He had some type of dementia.  We didn't blame him.  We blamed the home for putting him in a room with a man under hospice care (my dad) who was an invalid. The home had knowledge of prior aggression towards another patient when they placed him with my dad.  After the incident he was still left to roam the halls freely and showed up at Dad's door several more times.

Honored Contributor

@jubilant-

I bet your dad is saying well done! It was a courageous and loving thing you did to try to make them accountable. If people did that all the time, it would make a lot of good changes. Even though the outcome was not what you hoped, I bet your dad knows too, that the investigations will make them be on their toes.

I hope you always will feel your dad in your heart right beside you all the way.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"