Respected Contributor

Re: Update On Sister Who Fell.

Shockingly enough, a lot of people refuse to go to a doctor even when they're know they should. Thank goodness she finally sought help. As hard as it was for you to not say anything it was better that you didn't.

Frequent Contributor

Here in NY people are avoiding hospital ERs right now. Paper says doctors are concerned. Sounds like a no brainer to me.

Respected Contributor

@Travone wrote:

@CrazyKittyLvr2Sorry about your sister.  Unfortunately, you know she isn't going to listen to anyone regardless of how sick she might be.  You are right to just not say anything.  She is bound and determined to do what she wants.  All you can do is be there for her.  I was actually shocked that she went out a few weeks ago to a store with her husband (I think you said it was for groceries), but she is immune suppressed.  She is taking chances.  So far luck seems to be on her side, let's hope it stays with her.

If my sister was complaining about a ailment for an extended period of time, I would continue to urge her to seek treatment as the consequences can be deadly as in the case of her liver problem.  My mother had chronic contispation and vaginal bleeding and told no one.  She was the type of person who never went to the doctor and by the time she went she had stage 4 endometrial cancer.  She suffered for 4 1/2 years before she died.  Her suffering could have been lessened and her life extended if she only sought treatment earlier and if I knew she was having problems I would have nagged her until she sought treatment. She was only 73 when she died.

Respected Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

My sister fell last week on her back from a standing position.  Wouldn't go to Dr. and figured it would feel better with rest.  It didn't.

She went to ER today because she was in such pain. X-ray and CAT scan showed she fractured a bone in her lower back. Is on pain med and has an appt, with an orthopaedic Dr. They asked why she didn't go when she did it.  The $64,000.00 dollar question.

Like I posted last week "I want a cigarette".  I won't but.............oy.  So she was in pain for a week needlessly with her self-diagnosis.  I hope she didn't do any long lasting damage.

Just wanted to give an update.  I did bite my tongue and didn't say boo, it wasn't easy.  lol

Parkinson disease causes some people to fall and always on their backs. She needs a DR. to see her. My Dad did this and that was the results.

Esteemed Contributor

Spoiler

@ninjawife  When she first got feeling bad months ago her daughters and I hope tried to get her to make a Dr. appt.  It's not like no one tried.  Back then we nagged. She got snippy so finally rather than drive myself nuts, I stopped saying anything.

She flat out refused.  She was an adult, was not mentally impaired.  We couldn't force her.  It was very aggrevating.

I had a friend in her 60s with bleeding and she said she was still having her period. Refused going to Dr.  By the time she got help she was full of cancer and lasted 5 months.

Honored Contributor

I'm glad she's seeking proper medical help.

You scheme to be a good sister.

Respected Contributor

I have said for years to never listen to advice from the injured or sick person on going to ER or calling for an ambulance.  I have had to override people on a few occasions.  Well, just recently I fell and hit my head and the person with me said I told him I would be ok, just let me lay there for awhile.  He immediately got someone over for a second opinion and they called for an ambulance.  I absolutely don't remember the fall or any discussion afterwards.  Geez.  I'm convinced it's built in us to deny we are hurt.  That was not only my first time falling, but first time as a patient in ER.  Yikes!

Esteemed Contributor

@MomCat  I'm not sure what you did to "override" a competent person who won't go to the Dr.

Someone incapaciated or not mentally well, yes.  If, like in my sister's case, she is just stubborn. You can't force them.  Even if we hog tied her and took her she would refuse treatment.

When my husband was delirious from an infection after his cancer surgery and refused to seek medical attention I had to go to go through hoops to get a warrant to have the ambulace come for him. They came with a State trooper.  I was told without that paper the abulance crew would not take him against his will.

Esteemed Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

@MomCat  I'm not sure what you did to "override" a competent person who won't go to the Dr.

Someone incapaciated or not mentally well, yes.  If, like in my sister's case, she is just stubborn. You can't force them.  Even if we hog tied her and took her she would refuse treatment.

When my husband was delirious from an infection after his cancer surgery and refused to seek medical attention I had to go to go through hoops to get a warrant to have the ambulace come for him. They came with a State trooper.  I was told without that paper the abulance crew would not take him against his will.

Very true.  If you are deemed of sound mind, EMT can not make you go.  There are laws to protect your freedom of choice.  

Same with a hospital not being able to keep you against your will.  Have preprinted forms all ready for you to sign.  

The police can "arrest" you and "release" you the "protective custody" of the EMT.

Be more gentle to those of us making this choices for ourselves.  Same concept as hospice or palliative care.

Esteemed Contributor

@Still Raining  I agree everyone can make their own choice.  I expressed my concern in the beginning.

My problem is that we talk at least 4 times a week and every phone call was me listening to her tell me how terrible she felt, how tired she was, etc. Yet she wouldn't do anything about it.

If that's your choice fine but don't complain about it.  Try and help yourself and I will listen to you all day long.