Honored Contributor

Update. Another American has died in the Dominican Republic bringing the total to eleven

[ Edited ]

Khalid Adkins from Denver, died on June 25th. He was on vacation with his daughter Mia. Mia said her dad was complaining about a painful bump on his leg and went to the hotel’s clinic but he decided to wait for treatment until the pain worsened. Mia left the DR and went back to Denver and her father’s pain worsened the next day. He was taken off his flight due to his illness. His sister in law, Marla Strick, said he was dripping with sweat and he vomited in the plane’s restrooom. She also said he was taken to Santa Domingo with difficulty breathing. She said he also had failing kidneys. She noted that he had a kidney transplant years before.. She also said that the family was not informed of his death until his daughter made multiple calls to the hospital to find out what had happened to him. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Update. Another American has died in the Dominican Republic bringing the total to eleven

One thing is certain. I would not go to the Dominican Republic. There is something wrong and I don’t think the authorities are taking it seriously enough. Now that cancelations are really starting to hurt the tourist economy, perhaps they will be motivated to do more.

I recall the case of a family seriously hurt a couple of years ago by insecticide sprayed in their room. I can’t remember where their hotel was located but it was tropical. I recently read that a guest in the Dominican Republic also complained of a terrible chemical smell, was sickened, and left the island. I know that the mini bars are suspect but I’d also check out what’s being sprayed in and around guestrooms and public spaces.

Respected Contributor

Re: Update. Another American has died in the Dominican Republic bringing the total to eleven

[ Edited ]

My husband and I used to enjoy going to all-inclusive resorts in the Caribbean.  Never again.  I do remember the family that died from bug spray treatment in their room, and I think there were cases of young folks dying from a small amount alcoholic drinks, when I say small, I mean they were not drunk, just having a drink or two.  The only thing they care about is the American dollar, it seems to me.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

This ill-fated gentleman may have suffered from a blood clot in his kidneys, which were already compromised.  Travel can exacerbate all sorts of medical conditions.

Kidneys

A blood clot there can keep them from removing waste from your body. That can cause high blood pressure or even kidney failure.

This is dangerous, so look out for these symptoms:

Respected Contributor

@golding76 

What you say makes perfect sense. The daughter of this Denver man said he had pain in his leg that worsened, which is the first sign of a DVT, blood clot in the leg, especially after flying. That blood clot likely traveled either to his lung or kidney. I'm guessing once an autopsy is done here in Denver, they will know the exact cause of death.

Having said that...there are enough "mysterious" deaths happening in the DR--I think 11 reported since June 1--that it's good to stay away, until they figure out what's happening. Glad the media is staying on this story!

Honored Contributor

If I needed any sort of medical treatment ,I certainly would never go there ,for a vacation

Valued Contributor

DR was never on my list for places to visit, but now for sure I never would, even if I won a trip there. Something is obviously going on and no one seems to be getting to the bottom of it. Maybe no one cares to, I don’t know. 🤷🏻‍♀️
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

This could happen anywhere and shouldn't be a factor in deciding to travel somewhere.

It doesn't sound like "another" death related to any mystery and shouldn't be lumped in with the unknown sudden deaths.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

I saw a segment on the news recently about a man that got sick there and was told he needed surgery yet a large amount needed to be paid first. I believe the amount his wife ended up paying was around $40,000 and he passed away. I'm sorry if this has already been posted about.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Don’t forget that this man was a transplant patient which means he was on all sorts of anti rejection medications which carry a multitude of side effects.