Respected Contributor

Update - 1week into evacuation CA fire

[ Edited ]

This has been one of the longest, saddest. frustrating, stressful weeks .  I know we are all safe but feelings and emotions of all of us encased in this - what now seems very small - beach house run from elation to depression then repeat .

As fire melted pipes leading to our town’s water tanks this now means our temporary return home date 15 Sept pushed further as crews cannot get into to repair water tanks until fire out and everything cooked down.

However Fire now 17% contained still a way to go but weather cooperating and planes can now drop water to help out our marvellous firemen.

Detective on case had not caught person who robbed wallet from one of our firemen and drained his bank a/c but Sherif says he will be caught.

Verizon giving me free texting, Data, etc., on my cell until further notice - very nice.

So far our houses still safe though 246 have burned but that is a ‘temporary’ count therewill be more.  Looters are a big problem but there are patrols doing their best.

Be so glad to get home even though we know a big mess awaits us - now trying to sort out where our mail has been forwarded- but that’s tomorrow’s  problem!  Funny we are self isolated but we seem to have put Covid to the back of our minds but everyone outside all wearing masks- thank goodness

what did I forget to grab on evacuation day DH underwear, sox, my underwear all toiletries but... I did grab my two favourite small sculptures - where was my mind!

Respected Contributor

Re: Update - 1week into evacuation CA fire

@dulwich, I am so sorry. My heart breaks for you. I cannot imagine the stress. Will you be able to stay where you are for the extended time?  I need to go and find your other post. I am admiring your strength and keeping you in my prayers.

Valued Contributor

I'm so sorry you are going through this.

About a month ago we had to evacuate because of a brush fire but we were very fortunate because we only had to be out of our home for about 24 hours. I can imagine how hard it would be to be away from home for a week with no real end in sight. 

I hope you will be able to get home soon and all is well.

“We should be too big to take offense and too noble to give it.” Abraham Lincoln
Honored Contributor

@dulwich wrote:

This has been one of the longest, saddest. frustrating, stressful weeks .  I know we are all safe but feelings and emotions of all of us encased in this - what now seems very small - beach house run from elation to depression then repeat .

As fire melted pipes leading to our town’s water tanks this now means our temporary return home date 15 Sept pushed further as crews cannot get into to repair water tanks until fire out and everything cooked down.

However Fire now 17% contained still a way to go but weather cooperating and planes can now drop water to help out our marvellous firemen.

Detective on case had not caught person who robbed wallet from one of our firemen and drained his bank a/c but Sherif says he will be caught.

Verizon giving me free texting, Data, etc., on my cell until further notice - very nice.

So far our houses still safe though 246 have burned but that is a ‘temporary’ count therewill be more.  Looters are a big problem but there are patrols doing their best.

Be so glad to get home even though we know a big mess awaits us - now trying to sort out where our mail has been forwarded- but that’s tomorrow’s  problem!  Funny we are self isolated but we seem to have put Covid to the back of our minds but everyone outside all wearing masks- thank goodness

what did I forget to grab on evacuation day DH underwear, sox, my underwear all toiletries but... I did grab my two favourite small sculptures - where was my mind!

@dulwich  I can not imagine what you are going through. Where are you staying until you go home?  Did you have animals? I hope no one loots your  home❤️ 

Esteemed Contributor

@dulwich 

I am so sorry for what you and everybody else is going through.

I can't even begin to imagine what it's like, but you and everybody affected by the fires are in my thoughts and prayers.

Stay safe!

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

@dulwich Good to hear from you. I was actually thinking of you today.

I lived in So. Cal. for my first 60 years. Luckily I was in the South Bay and nowhere near any fires but it was always heart rending to see them on the news and all the tragedy involved.

I well recall the Bel Air fire of many years ago. We could see the glow from where we lived in another part of the city of Los Angeles.

Prayers for you and yours. Heart

Respected Contributor

@dulwich ....there are really no words other than to say how sorry I am for what you are going through. I live in So. Cal and have had to evacuate in the past, but did not have to deal with the extent you are dealing with. Stay safe. (((Hugs))).

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden  We are fortunate in that we have small beach house which my son in law rents out - so there are now 9 adults, 6 dogs, 4 cats, 2 babies but since ‘living’ here we now know it is only vacation home every movement, tread, etc., can be heard everywhere- to take a shower or run the washer vibrates every  room I do not think any of us have had any sleep! but we are learning and not in tent as some of our friends are.  Everywhere is full.  We do remind ourselves we are lucky and safe.

Animals very happy no problem.

Respected Contributor

@dulwich , Thank God you are safe. Try to breathe and be centered. There will be plenty of work when you get home.

We have been evacuated three times. Forgot undies and lip balm. Did get a few family heirlooms and photos.

Stay safe, we are all thinking about you.

Honored Contributor

@dulwich 

I am very sorry for the circumstances in which you and your family find yourselves.  The additional stress and worry on top of everything else - I can’t even imagine.

Thankfully you are all safe and together, lacking undergarments, but we will all be discrete about that.

Good Wishes.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras