Super Contributor

Up to what age should children (boy and girl siblings) bathe together?

Is there a cut off?
I think 5 is way over the cut-off.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Up to what age should children (boy and girl siblings) bathe together?

Super Contributor

I ask this because my cousin puts her 3 kids in the tub together every night. They are 3 4, 6. Middle one is a girl.{#emotions_dlg.confused1}

Honored Contributor

I would have never thought about bathing my children together, but I only had one so never had that situation. I think I would have used the time to have a personal moment with each child. They do need to learn the difference and maybe that's what the parents are trying to teach. I don't think I would have done it this way, but ... my cousins did it, my aunts and uncles did it. That's why I would not do it.

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Esteemed Contributor

A girl shouldn't be put in the tub with two boys.

She needs to start teaching her little girl to HAVE BOUNDARIES, that her body and her private areas belong to her and they are not to be seen by others. She needs to explain that she is special and that no one should invade her space........etc., etc., etc.

Good opportunity for teaching.

Esteemed Contributor

I would say at age 2, I would start to bathe each child separately. Until that age, yes, I would bathe them together, especially if the two kids are of the same gender.

I'm surprised that the 6 year old hasn't said anything about wanting to bathe by themselves yet.

Honored Contributor

On 3/31/2015 YorkieonmyPillow said:

She needs to start teaching her little girl to HAVE BOUNDARIES, that her body and her private areas belong to her and they are not to be seen by others. She needs to explain that she is special and that no one should invade her space........etc., etc., etc.

Why would you only address the girl's need for boundaries and privacy? Shouldn't the same boundaries and protection of their private area belong to boys as well?

Honored Contributor

On 3/31/2015 Plaid Pants said:

I would say at age 2, I would start to bathe each child separately. Until that age, yes, I would bathe them together, especially if the two kids are of the same gender.

I'm surprised that the 6 year old hasn't said anything about wanting to bathe by themselves yet.

I don't remember ever bathing any of my kids together. Even if I did, it would be out of the question for me to put my daughter and my son in the same bath, ever. And yes, by the time they were 6 yrs. old., all I had to do was help them with washing their hair. They were perfectly capable of washing their bodies themselves.

Esteemed Contributor

On 3/31/2015 JeanLouiseFinch said:
On 3/31/2015 YorkieonmyPillow said:

Why would you only address the girl's need for boundaries and privacy? Shouldn't the same boundaries and protection of their private area belong to boys as well?

{#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

Honored Contributor

I had four girls and bathed them two at a time. I can't remember when they started taking showers, but they were young, they wanted to and I let them. I did have to help them with their hair though, because they all had very long hair.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986