Honored Contributor

I appreciate the help.  And I don't care how they help. My way isn't the only way. No complaints from me.

I have friends down the street and the husband always plows snow from my sidewalk and occasionally plows my driveway.  They also helped me for 2 days to clean up after the derecho last August. 

Respected Contributor

@Sage04 wrote:

@occasionalrain wrote:

@KKJ 

Oh, it is most definitely a nice thing; we all appreciate it? Sorry I was unclear.

@occasionalrain  you were very clear and I understood what you meant. I was about to respond to the person who misunderstood what you meant but decided against it.

Was this post slamming me really necessary?  I wasn't trying to be argumentive or whatever with my post. I honestly thought since it was in response to unwanted good deeds that it was that.

Trusted Contributor

@KKJ   No, Mom didn't live in a fancy neighborhood. Just a tidy, estabished area of nicer homes. No HOA. I thought their actions were presumptious, too, but didn't get as "twisted" about it as my Mom and sister. The people lived way up the street so their focus on Mom's house was a bit strange, but maybe they figured a widow would appreciate the help. Needless to say, a knock on the door would have been nice. There weren't that many weeds, either!

Respected Contributor

@tototwo wrote:

My goodness.  I truly believe some people look for something to complain about. 

For me, I'll leave out my rake and trash bags just in case some neighbor wants to clean up my yard for me.  Like another poster said, I'll move my car out of the garage if a neighbor wants to wash my car.   And I won't complain about it.   I'll thank them profusely and probably bake them a cake (unless they'd be offended if I do something nice for them).

I do leave my car (Jeep) out but if one of my neighbors touched it I'd flip out. It's my baby. The rest they can clean and do to their hearts content. Like you I would appreciate and thank them and probably crochet or knit them something. 

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@occasionalrain.  Where do you live?  I'll buy your house.

@Kachina624 Woman LOLWoman LOLWoman LOL

Esteemed Contributor

@SuziepeachI would love to have you as a neighbor. You are so thoughtful, and kind.

Esteemed Contributor

@Silver Lining wrote:

A very good friend of mine came over and mowed and edged the lawn while I was out of state for three weeks. He went ahead and edged the next door neighbor's driveway as a favor. The neighbor went all crazy. I guess that's okay but he didn't have to act like that.

There is no reason to act crazy. However, I would not edge unless it was already edged. I would never do something new, or different. It is no longer a good deed if you impose your will on someone's property.

Esteemed Contributor

I've had people do thoughtful things for me before that I wish they would not have done.  However, it was really not a big deal in the long run and I just smiled and told them thank you and went about my day.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Respected Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

One of the longest and most contentious topics around here is when people give someone home made baked goods and the recipient didn't eat them!  Which points up, ask before you give, help or otherwise "do good."  Unless you know the person very well.  Even the, look out!  Woman Surprised

OH my was that a hot topic!  What seemed to be the most rational response is to ASK before giving and don't get hurt if people don't want them.  

That is one of those topics you don't foget if you were "there!"  LOL!!! But it does go to show you that you don't know what people's likes and needs really are and what they are comfortable with. 

@Sooner   I remember that post and I was just thing about it. People were indignant that someone would bring a homemade cake or cookies to them. Whatever happened to good manners?  When given something that you don't care for or can't eat just thank the person for their thoughtfulness and then do with the gift  what you want. But my goodness people were referring to the food as garbage and some were incensed over having to deal with what they considered presumptuous people.  So glad I don't know anyone like this.

Honored Contributor

Re: Unwanted Good Deeds

[ Edited ]

@manny2 wrote:

@SuziepeachI would love to have you as a neighbor. You are so thoughtful, and kind.

Oh @manny2 how very sweet & kind of you to say that.  That's how I was raised, I can't imagine being any other way.

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee