Esteemed Contributor

I remember years ago my husband was working out of town and my seven year old son and I were at home. We had a shrub in the back that needed shaping. My brother in law decided to take my brand new Cleaver and chop the shrub down. All the time he is doing this I'm thinking, "this man is a maniac". When he was done, I had to get rid of my brand new cleaver. 

Honored Contributor

@Lucky Charm 

Unfortunately,  most would be destroyed by raking and, no matter, they belonged to me.

This neighbor lived two houses away separated by ample yards and if by chance my leaves entered his yard he would be free to do as he wished with them.

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@occasionalrain.  Where do you live?  I'll buy your house.

You took the words right out of my mouth!!!!

Trusted Contributor

I can tell you from personal experience the silliness of being disliked because of not belonging to the same group as your neighbor yet you like them and everyone else for that matter regardless of what group they belong to.  All effort to do what comes naturally for us by being a kind and considerate neighbor is soundly dismissed. My husband and I said privately to one another that from now on we have to stop doing so much for others who clearly hate us and there's not a single thing we can do to stop it.  

Trusted Contributor

@occasionalrain - Much better for this type of neighbors than ones who are nasty!

F/N/A luvstogarden
Esteemed Contributor

My goodness.  I truly believe some people look for something to complain about. 

For me, I'll leave out my rake and trash bags just in case some neighbor wants to clean up my yard for me.  Like another poster said, I'll move my car out of the garage if a neighbor wants to wash my car.   And I won't complain about it.   I'll thank them profusely and probably bake them a cake (unless they'd be offended if I do something nice for them).

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

I think it's wonderful if a person wants to help.  However, not everyone takes kindly to it. Some might find it intrusive and some might take it as a sign that you are not doing what  you should or doing a good job yourself.  I would say if possible, it might be a good thing to stop and say --- could you use a hand?  I'd be glad to help!  If something happens outside of a person's home and needs attention right away, and you know that person is not home and there is no way to get ahold of them of a relative, then I would say, if you are able to assist, then go ahead.  Then, otherwise, it would probably be best to wait until they return and then ask if you could assist them.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Esteemed Contributor

During our recent snow storm, as we were all shoveling out there....I did ask our neighbors that if they needed anything, and I have it, please let me know!

Then lo and behold, the one neighbor assisted us in snow removal behind our vehicle!

We actually have 2 driveways. We didn't care too much about the one side, but a few days later, the other neighbor did the same thing with that driveway!

They never asked, but we took it as a real blessing!

Trusted Contributor

Several years ago my sister was visiting my Mom and noticed that people were out on the front lawn. She went to the porch and asked what they were doing -- they had decided to come pull weeds. My sister and mother were highly offended and shooed them off. I laughed and said perhaps the lawn care guy needed to do a better job.

Respected Contributor

@LonestarBabs wrote:

Several years ago my sister was visiting my Mom and noticed that people were out on the front lawn. She went to the porch and asked what they were doing -- they had decided to come pull weeds. My sister and mother were highly offended and shooed them off. I laughed and said perhaps the lawn care guy needed to do a better job.

OMG, I would be offended too!  Pretty presumptuous on their part.  Just curious, does she live in a fancy neighborhood where a weed in the yard is not allowed?