Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Unwanted Calls Are the #1 Complaint With FTC

'First of all', these calls are dangerous for elderly/senior folks.  Many of them find themselves almost running to answer their phones, thinking that they might be a relative or friend or important call.   'Second', someone here mentioned (a couple of years ago) that (allegedly) the Feds gave the phone companies permission to block these calls.  I don't know if this is true info., though.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

I only have a cell phone and I bet I get 1 unwanted call every hour.

I check the number and just let it ring, sometimes I "decline" the call.

Sure I could probably block or do whatever but it needs to STOP.

There's got to be a way to make it stop

Respected Contributor

I bought a Call Blocker and LOVE it!!! It has really helped and now I am happy to answer the phone and block un-wanted callers.  

I was getting calls from loan companies looking for someone who gave out our number- great to be able to block them!!

For my cell phone, I am an andriod user and switched to a Google Pixel.  Google keeps a log of Spam callers/numbers; when these calls come through my phone turns red with a big stop sign warning me not to answer and asks me if I want to add to blocked call list. 

Honored Contributor

I just got a new one yesterday...it was on my cell phone and I rarely get annoying calls on it since I don't give out my number except to family & friends.  Anyway I answered since it appeared to be a local call.

The person asked for "Susan" and I told him he had the wrong number.  I was about to hang up when he said, "well maybe you can help me".  Then he started to go into a spiel about something which of course I then hung up.

Is this a new tactic to get people to not hang up right away?

Honored Contributor

We actually had a phone call come in that had the name of one of the hospitals we go to! Same area code. One day we even had one with our neighbors name on it!  Same area code, his first and last name.  The number of course was different.  I answered it that day because I really didn't know the last 4 digits of this neighbors number. They are older and I thought it could be an emergency. I was quite angry at that one...grrrrr