Honored Contributor

Unwanted Calls Are the #1 Complaint With FTC

This brief, informative article in the Wall Street Journal is worth reading. I see l'm not alone with this complaint. I've gotten calls from every scam listed in the article, and then some! It got so bad, l'm now using a call-blocker landline phone, which blocks 250 calls. l already have blocked almost half of that, in only a few months!

Not mentioned in the article, but common where l live, is spoofed local numbers that are almost the same as my phone number. This makes it seem that a neighbor is calling, and made me more likely to answer the call, until l realized what was going on.

Here's the link:

https://www.wsj.com/article_email/phoning-it-in-unwanted-calls-are-no-1-complaint-with-ftc-150487920...

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Honored Contributor

Re: Unwanted Calls Are the #1 Complaint With FTC

Thanks, it has gotten so bad we do not answer our land line anymore. We figure if they want to really talk to us they can leave a message. It is horrible. 

When we were working, it didn't bother us but no that we are retired - it does. We keep talking about getting a blocker but the "telemarketers" or whoever they are change phone #s frequently. We wonder if it is worth buying.

Respected Contributor

I block calls every single day...

Esteemed Contributor

@handygal2 wrote:

This brief, informative article in the Wall Street Journal is worth reading. I see l'm not alone with this complaint. I've gotten calls from every scam listed in the article, and then some! It got so bad, l'm now using a call-blocker landline phone, which blocks 250 calls. l already have blocked almost half of that, in only a few months!

Not mentioned in the article, but common where l live, is spoofed local numbers that are almost the same as my phone number. This makes it seem that a neighbor is calling, and made me more likely to answer the call, until l realized what was going on.

Here's the link:

https://www.wsj.com/article_email/phoning-it-in-unwanted-calls-are-no-1-complaint-with-ftc-150487920...

OMG YOU TOO WITH THE LOCAL LOOKING PHONE NUMBERS??!!?? Just this past month or so almost every darn day I get calls that look like they are from my town. When I google them they turn out to be town residents that I absolutely do NOT know or town businesses with whom I have NEVER done business, sometimes never even knew they existed so I KNOW they aren't actually calling me. It's been happening too regularly to be that they dialed wrong numbers. Sometimes I'm tempted to call these numbers and tell these people that their phone numbers are being spoofed but for all I know maybe these people have moved and the businesses might no longer be around and all I'll end up doing is calling back whoever the pests are then they'll know they have a live one and will pass my number around to more telemarketers. Then there are the ones that show up as my very own phone number. One of the calls that came in a couple of days ago is the number of a used car business here in town. I was also sorely tempted to drive there, see if it's still open and if so walk in and tell them.

Trusted Contributor

I agree with that article 100%.   Those calls are an extra pain for me because I have mobility issues.   Trying to get to the phone only to have a machine hang up on me was very frustrating.  I started to wait 5 rings before I moved and they started to let it ring non stop.  They were filling up the message service with my phone company.   I had the messaging turned off.  It was like I couldn't win.  My phone was listed on the National No Call Registry.   Then they started calling my cell phone as well.  It also was already registered.   My cell number has been given only to my family, doctors and a small handful of special friends.   My cell tells me the name of the person calling and then I can answer.   On occasion a doctor will call from a number not on my phone.  No name, I don't answer and they leave a message so I can call back.   

My unwanted junk mail is another problem.   I have to shred every week because they put my name or a number assigned to me on every page.  Twice a month I take 2 big bags of shredded paper to recycling in town because I can not put it on the side of the road with my regular biweekly recycling for pick up.   I take it in plastic bags to eliminate spilling but have to dump the bags in the truck bins and take the plastic bags home.  Plastic is recycled separately.   Often account is included with the pitch for my donation.  If there is a postage paid return envelope I send the coin back and ask to be removed from their list.  I am never removed.  Sorry but I will not use my stamp to return your coin.  My budget allows me to rotate 5 organizations I have checked to receive a small donation in turn.  I care but can not support the world.  I need to remain self sufficient myself.

Respected Contributor

I just moved and had to live in an apartment while my house was being built and used my cell phone only with no landline and got used to that so figured I'd not have a landline when I moved; however, all our homes were wired with a security system (which I decided to use) and that requires a landline.

From the moment  the landline was turned on, I've had nonstop calls for every scam you can imagine (I don't answer and once on the DNC list most of those have stopped). However, whoever had this number prior to me I'm guessing didn't pay their bills cuz there were calls from banks, doctor's office and loan companies as well.  So now I'm getting a bunch of medical calls coming telling me that if I need a brace, scooter, etc that Medicare may pay for it and they'll help - "uh, I'm not Medicare age yet!"  So po'd cuz you know these are those looking to get you to order things to defraud Medicare.  

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

@Financialgrl  Security systems no longer require a landline. Check into wireless offerings available in your area. It was easy to switch and no hassle for me.

Honored Contributor

I get scam calls on my landline and on my cell phone.  More on the landline.  But my cell phone is not free of scam calls.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

We have been getting the spoofed calls too which do go through and are not blocked by NoMoRobo.

Regarding junk mail to the home, I try to locate a phone number on the literature (some companies avoid posting a contact #) and for those I go online and get it.

I call the companies and request name and address be removed from their mailing list and even more important request that our name and address do not be shared or sold to other companies. This has greatly stopped the influx from catalogs, religious organizations, political organizations and feed everyone organizations. 

I find the solicitations come more frequently as the Holidays approach.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

I go through periods where they are heavy.  They are on the light side now.