Respected Contributor

Re: Unusual things you do to prepare for a storm.

I never coped with so many power outages until we moved to Michigan in 2000. Sometimes for a few hours, sometimes for days. Storms, tornados somewhere up the line was the usual reasons but we did lose power once because of a critter in the substation.

Valued Contributor

I never do anything. I remember years ago, there was a major power outage in August, however I made it through with what I had on hand.

After Katrina (I was not directly affected by this storm but it caused me to think, what if?), I did keep extra clothes/bag in my car, just in case but I have not done that in a while.

Super Contributor

Get cash. IF the power goes out in the area, ATM's and charge machines don't work. Also snow shovelers and many plow guys only take cash.

Oh, and I'm right there with brewhaha making sure the wine cellar is well-stocked. Wink

Respected Contributor

I need books when a storm approaches. So I stock up.

I put in supplies in June when the season starts, so I have plenty of food. I always put up the storm shutters for any hurricane. It probably saved my house in H. Wilma (2005), which was supposed to be minimal but had become at least a cat 3 by the time it decimated my neighborhood. A tree fell through my roof, but my windows remained intact due to the shutters.

I get by without a generator, but I need to _do_ something in the day or two or five after a hurricane where people are asked to stay off the roads. So I re-read Anthony Trollope or Charles Dickens or my favorite detective novelist, not too violent and _rereads_ very well, Rex Stout.

Honored Contributor

I also hit the bank for money because if the power goes out, credit card machines do not work either.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Respected Contributor

Buy lots of snacks....one can NOT go thru a big storm w/o snacks!!

"People with closed hearts will always feel as though they are at war with the world." ~My friend Nancy
Honored Contributor

For the ice storms, make sure the SUV and the car is full of gas in case we need to use it to run a generator a few days. We always have enough food and the gas stove and two gas fireplaces, so we can stay warm, if not really comfortable. We have an iron cooking pot, so we can make beans in the fireplace and enjoy tuna and peanut butter etc. We always have enough water too. Fill up the bathtub for washing and flushing water. . .

Tornadoes? We keep water, bathroom "facilities", snacks, a radio with a siren and a portable tv in the storm cellar in case we need to be dug out and it takes a while to get to us. It is a below ground one in the garage. . .

Esteemed Contributor

On 1/26/2015 traveler said:

I never coped with so many power outages until we moved to Michigan in 2000. Sometimes for a few hours, sometimes for days. Storms, tornados somewhere up the line was the usual reasons but we did lose power once because of a critter in the substation.

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

People think we're Preppers up here but it's just a way of life. So no, nothing to prepare for. If we got the blizzard up here I'd be good until about June.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

I don't do anything unusual to prepare. Just your normal run of the mill preparations.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Respected Contributor

On 1/26/2015 Snowpuppy said:
On 1/26/2015 traveler said:

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

People think we're Preppers up here but it's just a way of life. So no, nothing to prepare for. If we got the blizzard up here I'd be good until about June.

boots, blanket and snow scrapper, stay in my trunk, year round! our power can go out on a sunny day with no wind. we try to live prepared. gotta love Michigan.