Respected Contributor

Unusual and extreme winter weather pattern predicted for Eastern U.S.

Respected Contributor

Re: Unusual and extreme winter weather pattern predicted for Eastern U.S.

Oh my! I love cold and snow!😃

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Honored Contributor

There are a lot of "ifs" and "mays" in that article and not so many "wills." Typically the big snowstorms in the NE come from nor-easters. Cold weather pouring down from Canada makes things cold and you get local lake effect snows as that cold air picks up moisture from the Great Lakes, but that's not typically all that impressive for most of the northeast. It's the nor'easters that bury us. (At least those of us in the more coastal regions.) Those blocking fronts and the cold air pouring down from Canada tend to push the nor'easters away or prevent them from forming completely.

Now, our biggest storms are always the nor'easters that bring all of the Gulf moisture north then stall off the coast and just bury us for a day or two. Let one of those stall out along the coast and we're in big trouble. February and early March are more the big snow months around here. December tends to be largely snow free. We may get a bit here and there, but it's rare to get buried in December.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

I remember the winter of 2009 - 2010. We were spending our first winter in Florida in our camper, before we purchased our house.It was cool in Florida all season, and our neighbors in Pittsburgh sent us daily reports of how freezing cold and huge amounts of snow in Pittsburgh. I had not brought any long pants with me to Florida and only one sweatshirt jacket.I wore that poor jacket out, wearing it every day,  and had to go to Walmart and buy some long pants, because Fl. was so unusually cool. I hope we aren't going to have another winter like that one, but usually our weather does reflect what is going on up north.Cold there - cool here - snowy there - rainy here.

Esteemed Contributor

I hope not!! I hate snow ❄️!! I worry about DH & son driving .

Honored Contributor

I am still waiting for winter.  It is in the 50's here in Chicagoland for the last 3 days.  Very strange weather.  I hope we get some snow and soon.  Cat Happy

kindness is strength
Esteemed Contributor

I don't know....but our Weatherman told us 2 weeks ago that we should put up any outdoor Christmas lights because it was going to be around freezing from then on.....today we are hitting 60 degrees..

Sometimes I just look out my wndow for the weather....LOL

Respected Contributor

I try not to get caught up in all the early worries about the upcoming winter season.

However, early this Fall I noticed that our short-needled pine trees were developing a really extraordinary amount of pine cones, unlike any I have ever seen.

I have been gathering them up to use for a top layer of mulch in our flower beds in the Spring.  I must have over 5 trash bins full at this point and I still am only halfway done.

Never fear squirrels, I am leaving some for you all !

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

They can't predict what our weather will be like tomorrow.  I have no confidence in any of the long term weather reports.

All last week our local weathermen were talking about the snow we were getting Sunday.   All of a sudden, that dropped. We didn't get 1 flake.

Yesterday I was off and was able to do all my running around without a coat.  Just a sweatshirt on yoga pants.  It was beautiful.

Today when I went home at lunch, it was 66.  It's the end of November in Cleveland!

Honored Contributor

I remember the 2009-2010 one (I think that's the year, lol) as my youngest was a toddler so that sounds about right.

We have a picture of me standing outside the house in a green parka with the hood up..you can't see my face. All you see is me and white swirling everywhere...the ground, the sky, everything is white.  We framed the picture for 2 reasons:

1) it's a striking picture, color-wise. All white background with bright green and black (boots, pants and gloves). The snow blowing around looks like I'm in the middle of a big whirlpool...very cool looking.

2) Because, what no one knows, is a few inches behind me was a HUGE black truck. Next to it was a HUGE red truck. To my left was a BIG tree and  I was standing in the midst of 6 foot plus high snow drifts....you couldn't see ANY of that because the snow was coming down so hard and so fast. That's how bad the storm was.