Honored Contributor

Chrystaltree wrote:

My most recent junk phone call...it came to my cell phone.  It appears that my student loan application has been approved and they want me to call particular number asap to claim it.  They do think we are dummies...lol   And apparently the IRS is still going to send the police after me if I don't call...lol

Yay!  Don't forget to give them your social security number.  Smiley Wink

The most shocking thing is that these sort of scams are very lucrative.   I cannot imagine being somebody who would respond to this stuff, and especially give out personal information, but I guess enough do that they will probably never stop.  Smiley Sad

Honored Contributor

@SydneyH wrote:

Oddly, I'm noticing an increase in these calls, they are now using local area codes so there are times when I'm lulled into answering..........

Yes!!  That's how I get tricked into answering.  It only takes a few seconds to get the gist of it, I never speak to anyone.  I just hang up and block that number.  But I still get the calls. 

Valued Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

I seldom get random calls but I think it is because I have had a unlisted number for years.  I just get a couple of calls a week.  

My phone numbers have been unlisted for decades, and I still get calls (cell and land line).  All of my phone numbers are on the DNC list, as well.  Fortunately, when my cell phone rings, it displays the city & state the call is coming from.  If I don't know anyone in that city/state, I don't answer.  If the number shows NYC where I live, and I don't recognize the number, I don't answer.  If it's a legitimate call, the caller will leave a message.  If they don't -- which is 99% of the time -- my phone gives me the option to block the call.

Honored Contributor

Yup!  I just had another one on my landline, about a minute ago.  It appeared to be a local number but, as usual, no name on the Caller ID.   Blocked!  If I don't know the number and/or see the name of somebody I know on the top line, there is no way I will answer.  Fortunately, I don't talk on the phone much at all, so it's easy to keep track of.

Honored Contributor

I got 3 more yesterday, I need to find some relief.........

Respected Contributor

There is no relief from them here.  Even if you block a number, the phone still rings once.

It seems for every number I block, 2 more take its place.

Honored Contributor

muttmom wrote:

There is no relief from them here.  Even if you block a number, the phone still rings once.

It seems for every number I block, 2 more take its place.

You phone might actually have this, or else it is in the newer models, but the is a setting that asks you if you want blocked number to ring once or not ring at all.

That, and the increased number of blocks I can do, is why I upgraded my last one last year.   I hated that 'one ring' deal.  I'd break my neck to get to a phone and then it stopped.  argh!