Esteemed Contributor

Re: Unsoliticed Calls

[ Edited ]

@bonnielu wrote:

@chickenbutt  Thanks I will check it out.  I  am grateful to Comcast who now lets us block unlimited calls. And my cell phone also allows blocking.  And there are apps for that LOL which id the caller (hopefully).  But the ring... oh my... never stops.  I used to engage them in conversations but gave up on that.  Not enough time in the day.

@bonnielu, I can't help with your phone because they are blocked by Comcast and my landline calls are blocked by my Panasonic phone.

However, for my Android smartphone I keep "do no disturb" turned on but set to allow certain contacts to ring through.  I still get unsolicited/robocalls but the phone doesn't ring.  Every couple of days I go through the call log and just delete them.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Trusted Contributor

AM also on the DNC list.....even checked to make sure it was updated. Can tell you it doesnt seem to be doing much good anymore as I have had solicitation calls almost every day and sometimes up until almost 10 pm at night. Very irritating. Sometimes when I accidently answer the call half asleep NOONE will take NO for an answer anymore. Whats up with that??? Everyone wants money......access to my computer (scam), pretend they are from IRS, rich politicians wanting money, fake police associations etc etc. If I am feeling gamey at that particular time I will have my fun with them by messing with their head....and having my say. Is really funny when I speak their language. LOL

Esteemed Contributor

DNC is a joke - they want you to think it will help but it really does nothing for you. And, with more and more robocalls, they can't do much.

Valued Contributor

@gmkb wrote:

There is no value to the DNC list.  For a few years it worked very well, but the businesses soon found there were no repercussions and now the phone rings off the hook every day.

I don't answer those calls either, but the constant ringing is annoying.

Yep, there is no penalty to businesses who ignore the DNC list because the government does not fund any positions of people to enforce it. 

Honored Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

I seldom get random calls but I think it is because I have had a unlisted number for years.  I just get a couple of calls a week.

Oh how I wish this were true.  We have an unlisted number but I was told it does no good because many solicitations are random generated.

There is a number that claims they are a call center for political and non-profit organizations.  If you call their number they tell you how to be taken off their call lists.  They tell you to call during business hours, yet no human being responds. I've blocked their number but it still rings once.  I've kept a tally since Monday.  So far we've had 74 calls.

Honored Contributor

I have a recording on my line put there by my phone company (CenturyLink).   When a caller dials my number he gets a recording that says,  "this number does not accept sales calls.   If this is a sales call,  hang up now and add this number to your DNC  list.   If it's not a sales call,  press 1" .  Only then does my phone ring.

I get maybe one ring from an unknown area code or sales person every month.   It's practically eliminated a major annoyance.  I've never gotten the IRS call.

Call your phone company and see if they have anything that would help you.   If you answer all the calls you get,  you're asking for trouble.  Once word gets around that the phone at your house is answered, you'll get no peace. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

I seldom get random calls but I think it is because I have had a unlisted number for years.  I just get a couple of calls a week.  

I have never had a listed phone number because of my DH's profession but,I get calls a few times a day.  I keep blocking numbers, but they just change the number they are calling from and call again.

do you remember Magic Jack?  With a system like that, you can change your area code to anywhere in the US and make calls.  If you live in NJ, for example, but want to make it look like you are calling from CA, you just set up an account with a CA area code.

sometimes, I answer the phone on the first ring... dummy me.  I just hang up on people I don't want to talk to. I get people looking for donations most of the time.  Who in their right mind would donate money over the phone?

Honored Contributor

I've always wondered if there are people who actually answer the calls and do business with the telemarketers...?? seriously

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@DiAnne wrote:

I have never had a listed phone number because of my DH's profession but,I get calls a few times a day.  I keep blocking numbers, but they just change the number they are calling from and call again.

do you remember Magic Jack?  With a system like that, you can change your area code to anywhere in the US and make calls.  If you live in NJ, for example, but want to make it look like you are calling from CA, you just set up an account with a CA area code.

sometimes, I answer the phone on the first ring... dummy me.  I just hang up on people I don't want to talk to. I get people looking for donations most of the time.  Who in their right mind would donate money over the phone?

Now there's an app you can download on your cell phone and do the same thing.

Respected Contributor

Re: Unsoliticed Calls

[ Edited ]

This is not about telemarketing, but a scam that is taking place re the phone.

On Easter Sunday we came home and found we had no TV, no internet, just the phone was still working.  All our systems are connected.

My husband called the 24/7 number and fortunately got a knowledgeable and helpful person.  He said that there are rogue companies that confiscate phone numbers.  Our phone number was confiscated and that is why everything was shutting down.  

The rogue co. cancelled our service with the intention of our buying their service.

The young man contacted this rogue company, told them we wanted to keep the service we had and put my husband on the line to confirm he wanted to keep the original service.  He told my husband it would take an hour or so to reconnect us.  He also told us there might be a reconnection charge on our statement, but call and it would be taken care of by accounting.

We were reconnected and sure enough we got a bill around $500.  He called, they took care of the charge.  Infuriating that unscrupulous people cause so much trouble for the provider and for us.