Esteemed Contributor

@Dragonflyveb wrote:

I had hoped all the spam phone calls would stop after Medicare Open Enrollment ended.

Ha!

I got 12 calls yesterday. Two from "Apple" about my compromised account plus one from my current Prescription Plan which I canceled come Jan. 1. They "needed more information." I looked the number up on Who's Calling Me and it's another scam. I also got a call from a friend, so I picked up and it was yet another spoofed call.

I keep my landline for various reasons, never answer a call I don't recognise and never call back. I use NoMoRobo. I block repeated numbers. But they call from any number they make up.  

I got so fed up, I unplugged the phone and am enjoying the peace. I just may keep it that way.

I wish there was something TPTB could do. I'm just venting.

@Dragonflyveb   QVC sells a thing called Call Blocker.   It stopped almost all calls.  It comes pre programmed with 6500 calls and you can block up to 1500  yourself.  Best money I ever spent. 

Valued Contributor

Ooh, I said those Medicare commercials and Joe would never go away! There are people signing up for Medicare all year long as they retire, in addition to those with Medicare Advantage plans have the first quarter of the new year to make changes.

Honored Contributor

Can't say as I blame you, DragonFly!   It seems like nomorobo isn't catching anything anymore.  I have to process (put on block) every one that's come through my phone for a while now. 

Yesterday I actually went to the nomorobo site to see if I was still on there for that # and it was.  But they're all getting through now.  Smiley Sad  

I don't know what the calls are that I'm getting, as I don't answer them, but it's gotten quite tedious.  

One thing I did several years ago was to disconnect the answering machine and voicemail for the landline.  

Every now and then I get one on my cell phone.  I guess they have nomorobo for android so I'm thinking about getting it but I don't know if that would affect the rules I have set down on my Sprint account for calls, as one main one is that nobody can text me unless they are listed there.  I wish I could figure out how to do that with calls, also.   There must be a way but I get overwhelmed easily, mentally, these days so I have yet to try an dfigure that out.

Honored Contributor

@Dragonflyveb   There use to be a number you could call to stop all the marketing callsl, etc.  It's been a long time since I used it and have no idea if it exists anymore.  When I get calls, I pick up and hang up.  I get one call and the woman is speaking in Chinese, I believe, and how she got my number I have no idea.  I know when you open a new charge acct. your info. is sold.  I guess my picking up and hanging up is working because I do not get that many calls anymore.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@Katcat1.  When you lift up the phone and hang up, you let the caller know he has a good number with a live body at the other end.  This just encourages more calls.  Its the worst thing to do.

Telemarketers and scammers call numbers in sequence.  They don't need to have acquired your number from anywhere.

The Do Not Call list still exists but is useless.  Once you sign up, you're on for life.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I have a VoIP and I have the ringer on the phone turned off. I can see who's calling by looking at my online call activity log plus any messages left there if and when the callers leave them. I can't stand hearing my phone ringing all day....and I know most are robocallers and telemarketers.

Regular Contributor

I get repeated calls from a CID of "NONE." They call from pretty much any area code in the US, but only once per phone number. Impossible to block them; they just call from a different number the next day.

For a while, my call blocker on my phone caught them, but now, it seems like a free for all. Spammers don't pay any attention to the DoNotCall list either.

It was a little creepy that a spammer used my friend's phone number. That can't be a random coincidence!

Dragonfly

Honored Contributor

@heart of savino wrote:

2 calls today one from social security my account has been compromised

call asap. the other from the IRS I owe them money and if I dont pay up

there will be a warrant out for my arrest.

@heart of savino 

Uh huh! The IRS always makes phone calls and serves arrest warrants. And I have more $$$ than Jeff Bezos. 🚫

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Regular Contributor

We got tired of getting those calls too.  My husband turned off the answering machine and used the CID to let us know who called.

After a while we stopped getting all those calls.  An unanswered phone did the trick.

Honored Contributor

@Dragonflyveb wrote:

I had hoped all the spam phone calls would stop after Medicare Open Enrollment ended.

Ha!

I got 12 calls yesterday. Two from "Apple" about my compromised account plus one from my current Prescription Plan which I canceled come Jan. 1. They "needed more information." I looked the number up on Who's Calling Me and it's another scam. I also got a call from a friend, so I picked up and it was yet another spoofed call.

I keep my landline for various reasons, never answer a call I don't recognise and never call back. I use NoMoRobo. I block repeated numbers. But they call from any number they make up.  

I got so fed up, I unplugged the phone and am enjoying the peace. I just may keep it that way.

I wish there was something TPTB could do. I'm just venting.

@Dragonflyveb @I've been doing this too lately. The phone ringing is waking me up and making me have to run to get these stupid calls all of the time. What's really stupid are the calls that are the same everyday, over and over. You'd think they would stop the robocalls to numbers that don't yield any results for these scammers.