Trusted Contributor

The worst spam call I have ever received was shortly after my DH died.  The caller ID listed our telephone # and his name.  And they called over and over, at least 5 times before it stopped.  Now I know it wasn't him but it still shook me up.

Trusted Contributor

My funniest call was when the caller ID had MY phone number. I had no idea how that could work, but I just said that the call was coming from inside the house!

Respected Contributor

We gave up our land line more than a year ago.  Use cell phones only.  Nuisance calls have reduced.  Now get nuisance messages.  Technology never stops.

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@sann wrote:

Joe Namath commercials are still running in my area seems there's no end to it.

I hope Joe just goes away never to be seen again... he is just awful on those commercials. All I see are his hands swinging about

.....And those optic glowing white teeth. That color is so unnatural.  i wonder why he thought that color was a good idea.

Frequent Contributor

I screen all my calls, if I don't know the person, I don't pick up ... most all the time when the answering machine picks up, they hang up.

Respected Contributor

@chlema  That is down right mean and hurtful. No wonder it shook you up. So sorry...

I still have a landline as only an extra $20 a month and a tool to locate my home in an emergency. It amazes me how many tactics are used including local phone numbers. I NEVER pick up unless recognize the name and number. I even got some ones from a CC company that went English into Chinese. If important one can always call back. I receive less on Cell, mostly car warranty calls.

I had a good one and a legitimate mistake I believe, in entering a number. A local Assisted Living Home in our hospital ,person called me  came up as such, saying they had an opening available for a room and would like to go over the paperwork  with me. I know they keep waiting lists.

My nightmare came true!!! OMG. I have had other incorrect calls from the hospital. I did not answer. At first I thought it was a resident I knew there but sure she has her own phone and she would not be calling me.

Respected Contributor

Well I just learned something I can't believe I never thought of before - blocking calls not in my personal phone book.  I just looked on my handset and sure enough, I can do that.  Sometimes they are legit, though, so are they still able to leave a message?

Honored Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

@Dragonflyveb   There use to be a number you could call to stop all the marketing callsl, etc.  It's been a long time since I used it and have no idea if it exists anymore.  When I get calls, I pick up and hang up.  I get one call and the woman is speaking in Chinese, I believe, and how she got my number I have no idea.  I know when you open a new charge acct. your info. is sold.  I guess my picking up and hanging up is working because I do not get that many calls anymore.

@Katcat1 

According to a recent local news show----

What they said about the Chinese calls is they call at random hoping to get a student or someone with a Visa from China its a scam to scare people into giving money to prevent them from being deported..... the calls used to be just in Chinese, now they are in both in Chinese and in English....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

Re: Unplugged my landline!

[ Edited ]

@Dragonflyveb wrote:

I get repeated calls from a CID of "NONE." They call from pretty much any area code in the US, but only once per phone number. Impossible to block them; they just call from a different number the next day.

For a while, my call blocker on my phone caught them, but now, it seems like a free for all. Spammers don't pay any attention to the DoNotCall list either.

It was a little creepy that a spammer used my friend's phone number. That can't be a random coincidence!

Dragonfly

@Dragonflyveb @SilleeMee @Gorgf 

Caller ID isnt much help these days because the scammers and telemarketers "spoof" phones numbers to make look like its a friend, family member, doctor's office, hospital etc etc....so you will pick up the call.....But the biggest "spoof" is they make it look like you are calling yourself as @LisanowinAZ said....SMH

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Lisa now in AZ wrote:

My funniest call was when the caller ID had MY phone number. I had no idea how that could work, but I just said that the call was coming from inside the house!

I had read about that here, numerous times, for quite a while.  Then it happened on my own phone.  Odd when you have to block your own number!