Trusted Contributor

Re: Unplug your hot air cooker when not in use.

I saw this on Facebook too, but hadn't heard of air fryers catching on fire before. So I went to Snopes and it appears this might not be completely true. Something about the woman not living where Facebook says she was from and the fire department there not getting a report of a fire.

Still, probably good advice, but inconvenient to turn off a Keurig, washer/dryer, etc. I would think the circuit breakers would kick in before a fire, but I am not a fire fighter, so I don't really know. The electric company that changed over my circuit breakers from fuses, said the worst fires are because of space heaters overloading the circuits.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I also read an article that several fire departments are asking that air fryer manufacturer's be made to put some type of safety device on them.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Respected Contributor

I've seen that post on FB and wondered why our local fire departments haven't reposted the warnings yet. They often post warnings about leaving a slow cooker on all day while you're out, which is the main selling point for those to be able to put it on in the morning, leave for work, and voila your meal is ready when you get home at night. I don't leave any of my small appliances plugged in, my kitchen is small and not a lot of counter space, but sure seems like they may need to reconfigure the air fryers if this is happening.

Honored Contributor

@FranandZoe

The manual with my toaster even said to unplug it when not in use
Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

@Carolina925

Oh wow. Even Slow Cookers? I dont Slow Cook, but my sister does all the time, & leaves! She says it uses no more electricity than a "night light,"

I Electric Pressure Cook, & I'm never far from the room where it's in use, and NEVER keep that plugged in when not in use..

Respected Contributor

@MakeUpMaidn, crazy about the slow cookers since that's basically what they're made for. When I worked, I used mine all the time, leaving it home alone from 730 AM to 8 PM! We had a fire safety class at work one day and the firefighter told us to never do that. I was too embarrassed to tell him that, as he was telling me that, mine was at home happily cooking my dinner!