Honored Contributor

Unplug your hot air cooker when not in use.

Yesterday, read on Face Book, about a house fire, when a power surge came on and caught this person's hot air cooker on fire. Damage to the house of course. So if the power goes out, unplug it. They even were using one of the power surge protectors, so that doesn't always do it evidentally. Be aware.

Respected Contributor

Re: Unplug your hot air cooker when not in use.

[ Edited ]

You should unplug any small appliance with a heating element when not in use. Toaster, coffee maker, toaster oven, slow cooker, countertop microwave, etc. etc.

Honored Contributor

My parents had a fire and tremendous smoke damage when the handle on their under cabinet mounted can opener fell into the "on" position, caught a cabinet on fire when it overheated and created a greasy black smoke that penetrated everything in the house, even in drawers in the bedroom. They were away on vacation and came home to this mess.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

We try to keep as much as possible unplugged when not in use especially portable heater, washer/dryer, countertop oven, coffeemaker, etc.. Apparently a tiny bit of electricity is used when things are plugged in.

Honored Contributor

There are no appliances left plugged in at our house...just the usual things, TV, land line phones, small radios.

Esteemed Contributor

All small appliances are supposed to be unplugged when not in use. I have to constantly unplug things like the Keurig and toaster that DH has used but hasn't unplugged.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

Many, many years ago, maybe even forty yrs. ago, a firefighter told us that, at that time, plugged in toasters were very dangerous. Something about a mechanism in the toaster that can flip itself on and eventually catch fire.

I've been warning folks since that time, but most we know leave everything plugged in. Even electric coffee makers that don't have any water/coffee left in the glass coffee pot. Some leave their dishwashers on as they leave for vacation. Also, very important.......Years ago our clothes dryer which was on 'off' after removing the clothes.......it continued to become hotter and hotter hours later. We had to push it out of the garage and onto the lawn. Something about the heating element didn't turn off. Thank goodness that I 'felt' the heat as I passed by and lucky that it didn't continue to heat while we were upstairs sleeping during the night.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Is a "plugged in," "surge protected," Microwave Oven causing any risk?

(Even with ZERO chance of it being turned on when empty?)

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624wrote:

My parents had a fire and tremendous smoke damage when the handle on their under cabinet mounted can opener fell into the "on" position, caught a cabinet on fire when it overheated and created a greasy black smoke that penetrated everything in the house, even in drawers in the bedroom. They were away on vacation and came home to this mess.

@Kachina624

What a nasty surprise. Sounds like the whole house could have burned down! Yikes!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Tinkrbl44

Yes, they were very fortunate. One of those reclamation companies spent several weeks cleaning everything in the house.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment