Respected Contributor

Re: Unmotivated students going to college.

@Mominohio wrote:

@The Monkey on My Back wrote:

@151949 wrote:

In our world today so many parents and students assume every kid should go to college. Every kid should not go to college! If a kid is not motivated to do well in high school and requires constant proding to get them through - what is going to motivate them when they are away from their parents at college?  I see this scenario so much with my friends and their kids. The parents have to practically twist the kids arm every day to get homework done - the kids lie and say they have no homework so the parents have to go onto websites or call the teachers every day to be sure they get all the kids homework done each night. Then the kid finally graduates and they proudly send him off to college only to have him do poorly from the get go and eventually drop out or fail.What a waste of money!! Why can't parents look at their kid and honestly see that he/she just won't make it in college and another avenue needs to be pursued such as technical school, or community college to learn a non professional job or maybe an apprentice in a trade.

Excuse me for saying so but perhaps you need new friends.

What was really the point of this statement @Say Nay?  Other than ridicule and bullying, why cannot someone (even a somewhat unpopular in some circles poster) relay what they see in the trends of their family or friends experineces?

And the irony continues.

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mominohio wrote:

@Melania wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

@Ibby114 wrote:

@151949 wrote:

In our world today so many parents and students assume every kid should go to college. Every kid should not go to college! If a kid is not motivated to do well in high school and requires constant proding to get them through - what is going to motivate them when they are away from their parents at college?  I see this scenario so much with my friends and their kids. The parents have to practically twist the kids arm every day to get homework done - the kids lie and say they have no homework so the parents have to go onto websites or call the teachers every day to be sure they get all the kids homework done each night. Then the kid finally graduates and they proudly send him off to college only to have him do poorly from the get go and eventually drop out or fail.What a waste of money!! Why can't parents look at their kid and honestly see that he/she just won't make it in college and another avenue needs to be pursued such as technical school, or community college to learn a non professional job or maybe an apprentice in a trade.

Woman Frustrated A community college IS college ....the coursework is accredited and they provide many professional career paths!

In fact it's the best way to significantly reduce college costs - you end up with the same 4 year degree from wherever you transfer to. But the first 2 years is a huge cost savings. 

True!  You know, I have respect for our senior citizens but a subject like this is beyond many of them.  Aprentice in a trade...????????   Really?   It's like she doesn't even know it's not the 1940's anymore...lol  

They are currently building a huge school where kids will apprentice to be steamfitters right here near Pittsburgh, carpenters, steamfitters, plumbers, electricians, HVAC and many other trades teach through apprenticeship and make very good livings.

and this is new how? 

We have had them for years...doesn't mean you get a job either.

Maybe you should tell your friends how terrible they are and make their kids go learn a trade.

It is obviously new to some, who had no idea that there are still apprentices.

And many are union-controlled. Unions created these programs to insure people got good, solid, on-the-job training and reached a uniform level of competency and then expertise that could be relied upon. Well, that and to keep their sons, grandsons, uncles & cousins employed, but that'd be a different thread ;-) Point being, most apprenticeships are rigidly quality-controlled.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@bri20 wrote:

@ROMARY wrote:

Plaid Pants:  'Around here' I've noticed that some of the kids are trying (or have tried) to live up to their parents' (usually moms') expectations.  After dilly-dallying in expensive universities/colleges for a few semesters, many of them end up doing what they wanted to do in the first place.  A variety of specialized careers, trade schools, whatever.  (Keep in mind that taking classes and learning about various subjects is always a plus, even if in a round-about way.)   I'm thinking that these kids have a fairly large amount of stress.  Sometimes it's just best to ask them what interests them ahead of time, before college loans and significant amounts of money are spent.  Sometimes spending time in a community college after high school graduation exposes them to many or a few careers that they previously hadn't thought about.  Gives them a sense of direction, if they didn't have one in the first place. .  Just a thought, of course.

"Mom's expectations"?   What does that mean?   

The whole phenomenon of 'helicopter mom's' and it goes way beyond grade school. 

Those moms who push their kids to do, achieve, and have it all, micromanage their lives and their education, extra curricular activities, relationships etc.

Respected Contributor

Not everyone needs to go to college, there are plenty of blue collar jobs that can't keep workers.

Though, if anyone wants to go to college, go sign your name on a loan and you can go too.

Honored Contributor

Another day, another complaint. Deja vu. Didn't we already hash this one out already though? At least get some new material. 

Honored Contributor

High schools can receive more funding if they have a large percentage of college admissions.

That's part of the answer, kids are pushed from all sides to go to college.

@151949 wrote:

Honored Contributor

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

Yes, kids should go to college!!! It's not perfect, but it's the best thing available if you want a successful life with a decent income. Yes, I believe the parents are, in fact, responsible. They set expectations and it's their job to enforce the rules for their kids. It's a honor, afterall, to be able to take time to study and expand one's education. I have very little patience with laziness--either from the kids or their parents.

Based on your statement, if you do not go to college you are not a success and will not earn a decent income.  Bill Gates may disagree, as well as the gentelmen who pick up your trash.  They make a decent income and I do not consider them unsuccessful. 

Bill Gates is the exception ~ not the rule.  One will not be successful in this country unless by some good fortune they are naturally smart (genuises like Bill Gates, et.al) without higher education.

You must have a degree to be an:

Architect

Libriarian

Physician (of any kind)

Social Worker

Accountant

Lawyer

Scientist

Police Officer (many states and localities)

Teacher

you get the picture.  So, if you're not genuis status like Bill Gates, odds are you will need a degree to have a career.  NOT A JOB, but a career.

Many people who have 'jobs' like electricians, plumbers, machinists, pipe fitters, welders make as much or more money than many of the people on the above list. 

Some of those 'job' people had some higher education, but most went to trade schools that aren't considered college and then became apprentices in the field. Many go on to own very successful businesses.

Respected Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@bri20 wrote:

@ROMARY wrote:

Plaid Pants:  'Around here' I've noticed that some of the kids are trying (or have tried) to live up to their parents' (usually moms') expectations.  After dilly-dallying in expensive universities/colleges for a few semesters, many of them end up doing what they wanted to do in the first place.  A variety of specialized careers, trade schools, whatever.  (Keep in mind that taking classes and learning about various subjects is always a plus, even if in a round-about way.)   I'm thinking that these kids have a fairly large amount of stress.  Sometimes it's just best to ask them what interests them ahead of time, before college loans and significant amounts of money are spent.  Sometimes spending time in a community college after high school graduation exposes them to many or a few careers that they previously hadn't thought about.  Gives them a sense of direction, if they didn't have one in the first place. .  Just a thought, of course.

"Mom's expectations"?   What does that mean?   

The whole phenomenon of 'helicopter mom's' and it goes way beyond grade school. 

Those moms who push their kids to do, achieve, and have it all, micromanage their lives and their education, extra curricular activities, relationships etc.

I understand the current trend is for those "helicopters" to write their child's college entrance essay. Seriously.

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Esteemed Contributor

@nun ya wrote:

Not everyone needs to go to college, there are plenty of blue collar jobs that can't keep workers.

Though, if anyone wants to go to college, go sign your name on a loan and you can go too.

I know a lot of people who paid their way.  You know, they worked (taxis, waitresses, whatever they could get).

*Call Tyrone*
Honored Contributor

@itiswhatitis wrote:

Computer Analyst

Help Desk Computer

Computer Programming

Geologist

Mathematician

Economist

Veterinarian

Criminal Justice

Forensics

Fire Science

Fine and Performing Art

Yes, one can become an electrician, plumber, etc. without higher education.  You can also become your own business onwer without these degrees.  As we can see, however, more careers require the degrees than not.

.Apprenticeship categoris are typically sponsored by your State's Labor Board.  There are not many of them to go around.

Not true.  
You get out of high school and decide you want to be a tradesman.  You can either go to work for a union employer or a non-union employer.  If you choose the union route, you join the union and start out as a paid apprentice and work your way up from there to a full fledged journeyman being paid accordingly.  HVAC, Steamfitters, Carpenters, Electricians and Plumbers unions - all the same.