Honored Contributor

Re: Unmotivated students going to college.

[ Edited ]

And everyone, it seems, has their own definition of what constitutes a career vs "just a job."

Any position which requires specialized knowledge gained from years of study, apprenticeship or on-the-job training such that it takes years to become proficient and not something one can do competently or well after a couple of weeks, has the capacity to become a career IMO.

Since so many equate success with income - I turned down the opportunity to become different types of medical/hospital technician because their salary was no more, and in some cases less, than mine. I saw no need to move laterally for a certificate that would not get me more prestige, or recognition, or money.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

I wish I would've taken a year off before my junior year.  It was a waste.  I was burnt out took full time classes and worked full time ....bombed and had to repeat them.  Great learning experience as I put that stress on myself.  I have an MSW and my husband was a geophysicist then got his JD and is now a patent attorney.  Our son will be a HS junior.  He has no interest in college...possibly a trade school.  We are not going to push him into anything.  If he works at a grocery store for the rest of his life and is happy...that is just fine with me!  College is just too expensive now.  I know from experience that a bachelor's in many cases is not enough to live on especially in the OC area.  

Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.... ~ S & G
Esteemed Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

Dental hygenist, court stenographer also don't require a college degree, and people have made CAREERS out of those.

To be a Dental Hygenist, you at least have to have an Associate's Degree.  Court Stenographer, yes they make good money.  These are not jobs that are plentiful.  How about EMT personnel or EMS?  How about paralegals? I'll check typical requirements.

*Call Tyrone*
Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

I don't agree with the op stating that people believe every kid should go to college. Many of my friends who have children and grandchildren of college age have never been expected to go to college. They come from families who believe in choices. Sometimes those choices involve college but that's more of an exception than the rule. My going to college was indeed something that my parents wanted but it was not expected of me ever.

and that.....is incredibly sad.

Incredibly sad is the myth that everyone needs college, and needs it right out of high school. 

The college myth has been fostered over the last couple of decades in order to make money.

In my opinion, people need continuing education. That doesn't always come in the form of college, and it doesn't always come directly at the end of high school. Some people need time to figure out what direction they wish to take in like, and don't need to be spending big money in traditional education until they figure that out, or find value in alternate educational opportunities. 

Esteemed Contributor

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

Yes, kids should go to college!!! It's not perfect, but it's the best thing available if you want a successful life with a decent income. Yes, I believe the parents are, in fact, responsible. They set expectations and it's their job to enforce the rules for their kids. It's a honor, afterall, to be able to take time to study and expand one's education. I have very little patience with laziness--either from the kids or their parents.

Based on your statement, if you do not go to college you are not a success and will not earn a decent income.  Bill Gates may disagree, as well as the gentelmen who pick up your trash.  They make a decent income and I do not consider them unsuccessful. 

Bill Gates is the exception ~ not the rule.  One will not be successful in this country unless by some good fortune they are naturally smart (genuises like Bill Gates, et.al) without higher education.

You must have a degree to be an:

Architect

Libriarian

Physician (of any kind)

Social Worker

Accountant

Lawyer

Scientist

Police Officer (many states and localities)

Teacher

you get the picture.  So, if you're not genuis status like Bill Gates, odds are you will need a degree to have a career.  NOT A JOB, but a career.

Not sure I would put Bill Gates in a genuis status, but ok.

I find it rather funny that you want to distinguish between a job and a career.  What is the criteria you are using? A college education?  I now work in the construction industry and many of these people can easily make a six figure salary from this "job". 

Guess some people look down on those they consider lesser educated.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

@Melania wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

@Ibby114 wrote:

@151949 wrote:

In our world today so many parents and students assume every kid should go to college. Every kid should not go to college! If a kid is not motivated to do well in high school and requires constant proding to get them through - what is going to motivate them when they are away from their parents at college?  I see this scenario so much with my friends and their kids. The parents have to practically twist the kids arm every day to get homework done - the kids lie and say they have no homework so the parents have to go onto websites or call the teachers every day to be sure they get all the kids homework done each night. Then the kid finally graduates and they proudly send him off to college only to have him do poorly from the get go and eventually drop out or fail.What a waste of money!! Why can't parents look at their kid and honestly see that he/she just won't make it in college and another avenue needs to be pursued such as technical school, or community college to learn a non professional job or maybe an apprentice in a trade.

Woman Frustrated A community college IS college ....the coursework is accredited and they provide many professional career paths!

In fact it's the best way to significantly reduce college costs - you end up with the same 4 year degree from wherever you transfer to. But the first 2 years is a huge cost savings. 

True!  You know, I have respect for our senior citizens but a subject like this is beyond many of them.  Aprentice in a trade...????????   Really?   It's like she doesn't even know it's not the 1940's anymore...lol  

They are currently building a huge school where kids will apprentice to be steamfitters right here near Pittsburgh, carpenters, steamfitters, plumbers, electricians, HVAC and many other trades teach through apprenticeship and make very good livings.

and this is new how? 

We have had them for years...doesn't mean you get a job either.

Maybe you should tell your friends how terrible they are and make their kids go learn a trade.

It is obviously new to some, who had no idea that there are still apprentices.

Esteemed Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

Yes, kids should go to college!!! It's not perfect, but it's the best thing available if you want a successful life with a decent income. Yes, I believe the parents are, in fact, responsible. They set expectations and it's their job to enforce the rules for their kids. It's a honor, afterall, to be able to take time to study and expand one's education. I have very little patience with laziness--either from the kids or their parents.

Based on your statement, if you do not go to college you are not a success and will not earn a decent income.  Bill Gates may disagree, as well as the gentelmen who pick up your trash.  They make a decent income and I do not consider them unsuccessful. 

That's not what she said. Bill Gates and many others are testament to that.  There are many ways to make a lot of money that don't involve college, but the truth of the matter is that college graduates as a group will make more money over their lifetime than those who, as a group, stop at a HS degree.

That is not what her statement said (but you know that), thus my comment.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Esteemed Contributor

Bureau of Labor Statistics:

Quick Facts: Dental Hygienists2015 Median PayTypical Entry-Level EducationWork Experience in a Related OccupationOn-the-job TrainingNumber of Jobs, 2014Job Outlook, 2014-24Employment Change, 2014-24

$72,330 per year
$34.77 per hour
Associate's degree
None
None
19% (Much faster than average)

I forgot to add that if one wants to be statistician ~ you'll need college.

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

Bill Gates is the exception ~ not the rule.  One will not be successful in this country unless by some good fortune they are naturally smart (genuises like Bill Gates, et.al) without higher education.

You must have a degree to be an:

Architect

Libriarian

Physician (of any kind)

Social Worker

Accountant

Lawyer

Scientist

Police Officer (many states and localities)

Teacher

you get the picture.  So, if you're not genuis status like Bill Gates, odds are you will need a degree to have a career.  NOT A JOB, but a career.

Not sure I would put Bill Gates in a genuis status, but ok.

I find it rather funny that you want to distinguish between a job and a career.  What is the criteria you are using? A college education?  I now work in the construction industry and many of these people can easily make a six figure salary from this "job". 

Guess some people look down on those they consider lesser educated.

Yeah, Bill Gates was smarter than the average.  Jobs and careers are different.  Nothing funny about the distinctions.  I'm not trying to be funny.  If you think about it, you might agree.  Don't know but there is a difference.

*Call Tyrone*
Honored Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

So it's ok if you make a statement but not if I say the same back to you.

Interesting flawed logic, lol.

Next time, come armed with facts, not just personal attack.

Then perhaps take  your own advice?