Esteemed Contributor

Re: Unmotivated students going to college.

@chrystaltree wrote:

@Ibby114 wrote:

@151949 wrote:

In our world today so many parents and students assume every kid should go to college. Every kid should not go to college! If a kid is not motivated to do well in high school and requires constant proding to get them through - what is going to motivate them when they are away from their parents at college?  I see this scenario so much with my friends and their kids. The parents have to practically twist the kids arm every day to get homework done - the kids lie and say they have no homework so the parents have to go onto websites or call the teachers every day to be sure they get all the kids homework done each night. Then the kid finally graduates and they proudly send him off to college only to have him do poorly from the get go and eventually drop out or fail.What a waste of money!! Why can't parents look at their kid and honestly see that he/she just won't make it in college and another avenue needs to be pursued such as technical school, or community college to learn a non professional job or maybe an apprentice in a trade.

Woman Frustrated A community college IS college ....the coursework is accredited and they provide many professional career paths!

In fact it's the best way to significantly reduce college costs - you end up with the same 4 year degree from wherever you transfer to. But the first 2 years is a huge cost savings. 

True!  You know, I have respect for our senior citizens but a subject like this is beyond many of them.  Aprentice in a trade...????????   Really?   It's like she doesn't even know it's not the 1940's anymore...lol  

There are still many trades that have apprentice programs that do not require an education above high school.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@chrystaltree wrote:

@Ibby114 wrote:

@151949 wrote:

In our world today so many parents and students assume every kid should go to college. Every kid should not go to college! If a kid is not motivated to do well in high school and requires constant proding to get them through - what is going to motivate them when they are away from their parents at college?  I see this scenario so much with my friends and their kids. The parents have to practically twist the kids arm every day to get homework done - the kids lie and say they have no homework so the parents have to go onto websites or call the teachers every day to be sure they get all the kids homework done each night. Then the kid finally graduates and they proudly send him off to college only to have him do poorly from the get go and eventually drop out or fail.What a waste of money!! Why can't parents look at their kid and honestly see that he/she just won't make it in college and another avenue needs to be pursued such as technical school, or community college to learn a non professional job or maybe an apprentice in a trade.

Woman Frustrated A community college IS college ....the coursework is accredited and they provide many professional career paths!

In fact it's the best way to significantly reduce college costs - you end up with the same 4 year degree from wherever you transfer to. But the first 2 years is a huge cost savings. 

True!  You know, I have respect for our senior citizens but a subject like this is beyond many of them.  Aprentice in a trade...????????   Really?   It's like she doesn't even know it's not the 1940's anymore...lol  

They are currently building a huge school where kids will apprentice to be steamfitters right here near Pittsburgh, carpenters, steamfitters, plumbers, electricians, HVAC and many other trades teach through apprenticeship and make very good livings.

I have a niece whose DH is a finish concrete worker - she is a bank VP - he makes more than she does. He learned his job as an apprecentice, and works for the union. YOU are the one who doesn't know what your talking about.Another nephew learned to run the machines that do fracking and his wife doesn't work because they have 4 small children -and they just bought a brand new 5 bedroom house on 5 acres.

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

I don't agree with the op stating that people believe every kid should go to college. Many of my friends who have children and grandchildren of college age have never been expected to go to college. They come from families who believe in choices. Sometimes those choices involve college but that's more of an exception than the rule. My going to college was indeed something that my parents wanted but it was not expected of me ever.

and that.....is incredibly sad.

What some parents might consider incredibly sad is that many college grads end up working at fast food places far longer than anyone ever planned.

What they might consider *very* sad are the salaries of mechanics, plumbers, electricians and those in the construction industry - including clerical staff and those in sales, who make $80,000-$130,000/yr. not to mention those who own their own businesses.

Very sad for the parents who shelled out for kids who really didn't want to go to college and ended up dropping out or with a degree in Phys Ed or English, working at Taco Bell

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

Many people today don't have the desire to buy a house or have a family. They choose to live without those commitments and thus have no need to go down a road like college where in the end they are left with such huge debt. 

Respected Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

@Ibby114 wrote:

@151949 wrote:

They are currently building a huge school where kids will apprentice to be steamfitters right here near Pittsburgh, carpenters, steamfitters, plumbers, electricians, HVAC and many other trades teach through apprenticeship and make very good livings.

and this is new how? 

We have had them for years...doesn't mean you get a job either.

Maybe you should tell your friends how terrible they are and make their kids go learn a trade.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

An old story.  Some people achieve great financial success without a college degree.  Did Bill Gates ever finish his degree, or are all of his honorary?  Then there are those who finished college but never had enough drive to move ahead in a career.  I don't think blame can be placed in most cases.  People are people & will march to the music of their own drums.

I suspect this thread is doomed to get poofed due to age-bashing - both ways, & strongly differing opinions pro & con college education.

Honored Contributor

Time for me to mosey on down the road. 

Respected Contributor

The same tired arguments over and over...

Respected Contributor

College is certainly not for everyone. But, I do believe that some form of higher education is a plus as some employers want that degree. Then there is that school of thought that says degree doesn't matter, it just says someone had the money to pay for it.

Education is important! But I do have to tell you that a grade school friend of mine who went to Technical School,  is now the plumber for all our parents who are still in their homes in the neighborhood I grew up in....well, he makes a bundle and is extremely successful!  The trades have become a lost art in some cases!

And, on the other hand, I know some incredibly smart and (over)educated people who simply cannot hold a job because they are complete arses!

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Honored Contributor

I've known a few plumbers who are complete arses, also.

That's life.