Occasional Contributor

Re: Unless I missed it, does anyone remember what this day is?

Cute story:   My first grandson was due 6-6-06 (in the bible belt).  As the date got closer, my daughter's obstetrician  grew concerned.  He asked if my daughter would like to have  labor induced   (Babe was over 9 pounds at this point).   She replied, "No, I don't think that is necessary."   The obstetrician said, "Oh honey, I don't think you understand the significance of your due date."    She said, "Oh, I understand the biblical  significance of 6-6-06,  but what you don't understand is that we are a military family.   My husband would be so proud if his son was born on D-Day"    He actually arrived 6-8-06       A couple of years later, my son-in-law was one of the Rangers chosen to represent the US Army at the D-Day anniversary celebration in Normandy France.  He is now at rest in Arlington Cemetary.  God Bless.   Never forget!

Trusted Contributor

We should remember D-Day as one of the greatest sacrifices for freedom just as we do the Revolutionary and Civil War. I find extraordinary the ages of those who fight and have often seen groups of soldiers at the airport. One group of sailors looked about 15 and I wanted to cry.  I honor and respect their service and wish we gave them what they need upon return.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

went to the local VA hospital today to  work in the out door garden for the Vet's

Land of the Free  because of the Brave

Respected Contributor

Quite honestly, I wouldn't have known.  I should have known because all, except for myself, in my family served in the military with both my parents serving in WWII - Dad in the Army, Mom in the Marines.

I'm surprised there wasn't more news coverage about this on the evening news.  Memorial Day was a week ago, perhaps they roll it all into one big event.  Add to the fact that most of our WWII Vets have passed on.  They were The Greatest Generation as far as I am concerned.  Absolutely true.  Yes, we certainly do owe our freedoms to all who serve in the military and risk their lives so that we can live the way we do.

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Frequent Contributor

DDay was A big deal at my home. I aways fly the flag in front of my home
Respected Contributor

My father was also in the Normany Invasion.  He was a paratrooper.  As he parachuted down, he watched has his friends from boot camp were blasted out of their chutes.  I was not born yet.  One night he was on out post duty, a morter shell exploded in the trees above him.  His leg was blown almost clean off, his arm had a chunk out of it like a croc bit him.  He woke up in hospital in England and had to have his leg sewn back on and taught how to walk.  I have his purple heart.  He's gone now but for the rest of his life, he lived with memories that haunted him so badly he never got over post traumatic stress.  He paced the floor like a caged animal.  Round and round while he ate toast in the morning after coming home from work.  My mother would "gently" try to get him to sit down.  He would not.  He felt guilty because he survived, I think.  He would sit and stare into nothing and would look deep, dark and mysterious.  I was afraid of him as a child.  He was a good father and loved me but the war destroyed him.  He always had the heebe jeebies.  He was volatile, would blow up at the slightest provocation.  He had to take "calming" medicine.  He worked three jobs most of my young life to support three kids, my mother and himself with no education.  I had no idea it was the anniversary of it......now, my poor father is out of his troubles.....I'll always love him and God bless the poor other soldiers who experienced it too....

Esteemed Contributor

@77yangya, The story of your father is heartbreaking.  After what he endured, of course there were terrible physical and emotional scars.  I can’t begin to imagine.

A few years back, I forced myself to watch “Saving Private Ryan,” a movie some people think is an accurate depiction of what soldiers faced.  I couldn’t make it through the movie.

May God bless you, your family, and your dear father’s memory.  

Respected Contributor

I thought flag day is June 14

Trusted Contributor

@GoneButNotForgotten  Tom Brokaw got it right when he  titled his book" The greatest generation".

Honored Contributor

@Luvsmyfam It is. But this discussion is about D-Day June 6, 1944.