Respected Contributor

Re: Unknown Half Brother or Sister?

Sooner, I totally agree.
Respected Contributor

A few weeks ago I was having a chat with a friend and we were talking about DNA results and she found out that her dad wasn’t her bilogical father.  Her parents are now dead and she will never know who her biological father was.  Her brothers than became her half brothers.  She said it doesn’t really bother her because she loved her dad.

Respected Contributor

@Marp wrote:

The article kind of made me wonder if I have/had a half brother or sister somewhere overseas.

Though my dad had a vasectomy in 1960, I've wondered if I had half-siblings in any number of places! He was quite the womanizer both before and after his "procedure", and spent time in Japan during the Korean war. 

Honored Contributor

2 people I know were contacted by women, claiming to be their cousin, who had DNA testing done through Ancestry.com.  Both have been speaking to their new found cousin and one even traveled to another state, several hours away, to meet the cousin.  For some reason it makes me a little suspect. 

Esteemed Contributor

I did two of the DNA tests because of something that my doctor said to me.  The reason for two is that I wanted to see if the results were even close.  Not only were they almost identical, but the results were quite a surprise.

I have no family left, so I would welcome a half sibling, but none so far.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

@SXMGirl wrote:

I did two of the DNA tests because of something that my doctor said to me.  The reason for two is that I wanted to see if the results were even close.  Not only were they almost identical, but the results were quite a surprise.

I have no family left, so I would welcome a half sibling, but none so far.

I'd be worried that that person might be someone who I would NOT welcome into my life, then what are you going to do?  Just go to WalMart or the ballgame or any public venue and look around and think "Would I like that person to be my relative?"  Woman Surprised

Honored Contributor

Whether I do or not, I will never do one of those DNA tests because I just don't care.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Sooner I totally agree with what you said.

I'm going to be 65 this year and at this point in my life what difference is it going to make.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Marp 

I had a half brother but he died when I was about 6 years old. He lived in California and I saw him only 1 time when he paid for train fare for my mom and myself to visit. Think I was about 4 at that time. My mom did not want to talk about it so I never brought it up.

My thoughts were always on my mom raising my 3 older sisters by herself after my deadbeat drunk of a dad bailed on all os us. My mom had more than enough issues to deal with without me wanting to know things, at that age, I may not even understand.

Unlike the"tens of thousands of children" you mentioned, not knowing where they came from, I unfortunately did know. All that did for, actually not for me, was instill hatred for a man that deserted his 4 offspring, and left my mother to do all the work. I would rather "have wondered" than known.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

It could be a Pandora's box for some..I have a friend who had a baby out of wedlock during college. She is older than I am. She had to have her daughter adopted, because back then there was just no way she could keep her.

However ,she did write a letter to be given to her ,if she ever desired contact. She explained why she had to adopt her out, and that she would welcome contact if her daughter desired it

She heard back a couple of years ago ,and found out she is a Great Grandmother. It was such a happy time for her.

However ,I know that not everyone gets a happy ending

@hckynut  Heart