Frequent Contributor

Re: Unknown Half Brother or Sister?

No interest in knowing this kind of information.

Different times, different values & ways of thinking.

Respected Contributor

most men have no idea and in the heat of the moment do not care about the biology involved. they have NO idea.  even if they took a sex-ed class

Honored Contributor

@marchingalong123 wrote:

The date is different, but the values and ways of thinking are exactly the same.  

Not much has changed, except we can now check the facts with DNA. History repeats itself over and over again.

Esteemed Contributor

A lot of one-night stands took place overseas during WW2, where the soldier was long gone by the time the woman found out that she was pregnant.

And lets not forget that there were women who went to where the soldiers hung out, specifcally looking for a "hook-up". 

Remember, it takes TWO people to create a pregnancy.

Not all of the women were wide-eyed innocent virginal doe's that were taken advantage of.

Far from it.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

My favorite DNA stories come from children whose "fathers"  were sperm donors and subsequently identified ... along with many, many, many half-brothers and half-sisters!

Respected Contributor

Yes, these tests can bring big surprises. Several siblings of a family

I know well could not figure out why they were getting "green leaves" on Ancestory that were from families they knew but were not known to be related to. Turns out they had the same mom but several dads were involved in creating this family. Mom wanted a big family and loved her husband and they were happily married for 50 years, but when things weren't happening after baby #1, she made it happen. There are other siblings who haven't submitted their DNA. Made no difference in their feelings, they adored their mom and dad, and dad adored all of them, but it explained some things.

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@marchingalong123 wrote:

The date is different, but the values and ways of thinking are exactly the same.  

Not much has changed, except we can now check the facts with DNA. History repeats itself over and over again.

@Carmie, in "normal" situations, this relatively new technique does change the equation. But I bet in wartime, it would be the same-old, same-old -- a matter of catch me if you can.

Of course, the concept of wartime has changed, too, with less and less emphasis on ground battle.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

My dad spend nearly his whole life in the military and much of it was overseas. I don't want to know if I have any unknown family members. I'm comfortable not knowing.

Esteemed Contributor

Responsible people, even during WWII, practiced safe s e x. I'm not buying either the male OR female were so innocent/surprised by a pregnancy. Why is everyone placing the blame entirely on the men? Those women were willing participants. It takes two!  

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

True  story:

An individual who married into our family was adopted as an infant. He was born and raised in the UK, born between 1945 and 1950 (to keep things murky for privacy). He knew nothing about his parents.

It bothered him all his life. He heard rumors but wanted facts. The person in my family he married works in the medical field. Long story short, she suggested the DNA/family history search sites.

Fast forward to a year ago: he discovers his father is alive and well and living in the US. He was a soldier serving in Europe during WWII. He has 15 siblings. Met some of them and came to the US to meet his dad. Dad had unprotected s e x all over the place while there: England, Ireland, France, Germany, Italy...you name a place he was sent and there was a woman he slept with. Did he care? Nope. He thought it was FUNNY that he had so many kids all over the world. His current wife, however, has been made sick by it and has apparently been hospitalized with severe depression as they have 4 children of their own (plus grand and great grandchildren). They were MARRIED when he was sent overseas.

Let's just say that our family find him disgusting and so did ALL of the children who have discovered he was nothing but a sperm donor. Btw: he was contacted by EVERY woman....he threw out the letters. Some already knew this, others did not. HE told them this himself....laughing about it. What a POS.

How many other men do you think had this mind set? Being a cynic, I'm going to say it was the norm and not the exception. 

It took TWO to make these kids. 

I have no desire to have a DNA test.  I seriously doubt that I have unknown relatives, but if I did, what would they be to me?  Strangers.  I am not curious at all about that.  I am who I am, I have and know the family I have, and to me that's who I am and that's where I come from.

What does it matter about people 200 years ago, who I never met, and countries I have no affiliation to?