QVC Customer Care

Re: University of Alabma COVID........

This post has been removed by QVC because it contains a link to a site with political information.

Honored Contributor

Ohio State has suspended some students for not following social distancing, no mask wearing, etc.  The problem is, this was done at an off campus bar or party so there are questions as to whether OSU can really suspend them.

I also saw on a news crawler this morning that 40 cases of Covid have been traced back to Sturgis.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

The school previously announced re-entry testing for students yielded a less-than 1 percent positivity rate. The new dashboard put the positive test rate for reentry at 1.04 percent of the 29,938 tests. The new numbers do not include those 311 positive tests from reentry.

Isolation and quarantine spaces are not at capacity, said Dr. Ricky Friend, dean of the UA College of Community Health Sciences.

“But we are concerned that each day that goes by,” he said, “there might be more cases.”

The dashboard released Monday evening stated 19.78 percent of the isolation space was currently occupied.

Friend said they were working on getting additional space on top of the 450 beds already in place to isolate and quarantine students either exposed to the virus or have tested positive.

Trusted Contributor

For those always posting the amount of "positive" tests it seems we hear reports every day of a "surge".  Hard truth is it does not matter how many get the virus what actually matters is how many recover and we will never know that number since they do not track people who recover.  You only hear the ventilator horror stories or that someone died.  Tragic fact is over 90% of the deaths have been over the age of 78. 

The more people you test the more positives you will get.  Which is why you get a "surge".  It's not so much being spread, it's more people getting tested.   But if they didn't know before they got tested that means they likely had zero symptoms.  The fact that those students never knew they had the virus until the test, means they likely had zero to very minor symptoms.  I realize the amount of positive tests scares some but stop and realize they didn't know they had it until the test came back positive.  I'm sure parents are worried.  I understand families who find out their college student  tested positive worries them.  But if they have no symptoms then they are fine, they tested positive with no issues.  None. They can quarentine and "recover" from something they have no symptoms of and didn't know they had until the test.  Which is probably a vast majority of the population.

Honored Contributor

@eadu4 

I'm more concerned about the health of all the staff and professors and other professionals, as well as the families of the students. The students are just the superspreaders who mingle at school and then spread the virus from there. However some of the students may have serious health problems from Covid as well. Many younger people suffer from risk factors such as asthma, diabetes, immune system problems, and obesity. It's not a walk in the park.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

@eadu4 wrote:

For those always posting the amount of "positive" tests it seems we hear reports every day of a "surge".  Hard truth is it does not matter how many get the virus what actually matters is how many recover and we will never know that number since they do not track people who recover.  You only hear the ventilator horror stories or that someone died.  Tragic fact is over 90% of the deaths have been over the age of 78. 

The more people you test the more positives you will get.  Which is why you get a "surge".  It's not so much being spread, it's more people getting tested.   But if they didn't know before they got tested that means they likely had zero symptoms.  The fact that those students never knew they had the virus until the test, means they likely had zero to very minor symptoms.  I realize the amount of positive tests scares some but stop and realize they didn't know they had it until the test came back positive.  I'm sure parents are worried.  I understand families who find out their college student  tested positive worries them.  But if they have no symptoms then they are fine, they tested positive with no issues.  None. They can quarentine and "recover" from something they have no symptoms of and didn't know they had until the test.  Which is probably a vast majority of the population.

@eadu4, there is no secret regarding those who have recovered. Simply substract the number of deaths from the number of cases. And one poster mentioned a while back when others were harping on this that some tracking does indeed list those who survived.

"The more people you test the more positives you will get.  Which is why you get a "surge".  It's not so much being spread, it's more people getting tested." -- this has been addressed and debunked ad nauseam. There are simple ways to know when a surge is taking place. It has to do with the positivity rate and the increase in hospitalization, followed later by increased deaths. If someone finds out they have the virus only through testing, great for them. But they could have and could continue to spread it.

"If they have no symptoms then they are fine" -- you are again forgetting the obvious: Asymptomatic people can spread the virus.

Your entire premise seems to negate the need for testing, when in fact testing is one of the best tools we have to make decisions. It presents indispensable data.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

CNN reports 531 people tested positive.  That is just a massive number of people walking around campus breathing the little covids out.

Respected Contributor

By the way, my hometown school, UMich, still plans to open.  I found out they don't have the resources for aggressive testing.  Then why are they opening?  I can't support that. 

Respected Contributor

@KarenQVC wrote:

CNN reports 531 people tested positive.  That is just a massive number of people walking around campus breathing the little covids out.

@KarenQVC:  1.04%, and no they are not walking around, they are quarantined not spreading the virus. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Hoovermom wrote:

@KarenQVC wrote:

@KarenQVC:  1.04%, and no they are not walking around, they are quarantined not spreading the virus. 

When things are put into perspective they are not so scary.  Yet some still want to spread half the story to further their point of view.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.