Honored Contributor

Re: University of Alabma COVID........

There are no statistics which could be remotely true enough to relate what is really going on.  It's all a big guess.  

Not everyone is tested; you can get tested today and get it tomorrow; nobody knows how many have had it or will get it and never know.  It's all supposition. 

Respected Contributor

There are 500 hundred cases there! FIVE HUNDRED! Imagine how many others these individuals have infected! This school should NOT have opened! 

Respected Contributor

Are you serious??? The virus has lost "its punch"- ??????? 180 THOUSAND people have died!  UGH!!!

Respected Contributor

I don't consider 500 positive cases to be low! Check back with them next week. Google the actual number. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

A little over 1% .....  I'm sure we will be told the number again and again and again.  

Honored Contributor

@Hoovermom wrote:

A little over 1% .....  I'm sure we will be told the number again and again and again.  

As should be, @Hoovermom, They are nothing to sneeze at, pun intended.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

A story on CNN yesterday that quotes the UA president:

ix days after classes began, the University of Alabama has experienced an "unacceptable rise" in coronavirus cases, the university's president said.

The University of Alabama's main campus in Tuscaloosa has recorded 531 total cases. The remaining campuses in Birmingham and Huntsville have recorded 35 cases cumulatively, according to the UA's CoVid=19 dashboard.With over 46,150 tests and 566 positive cases, the coronavirus positivity rate on University of Alabama campuses sits around 1.2%, according to the dashboard.

Dangerous (to staff and faculty, and also students of course) to continue in person classes.
Honored Contributor

@Burnsite FYI: You might want to quick remove the links from that or someone will report it and they will delete it. Happened to me.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Respected Contributor

Thanks, Porcelain.

Respected Contributor

I want to add something here that happened to me in late Feb.  I had a work visit scheduled for Great Britain.  They had only 1 case in the part of Britiain where I would be visiting in Feb..

Because my dad was a polio doctor and I grew up with that pandemic, I cancelled my trip anyway, as I knew that single case could be exponentially larger in two weeks, when I was due to fly.  I had non-refundable reservations, but I cancelled. 

Britain did catch fire in that 2 week period, and ended up with the most Covid deaths in Europe.  Two people I knew who went to the UK for that conference came back sick unto death.

This is life and death, folks.  Don't believe it's nothing.  I hope everyone here stays safe.  Including the teachers and support staff summoned back into classrooms when it is not safe.