Honored Contributor

Re: University of Alabma COVID........

@MorningLover wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

Sooner wrote:
Porcelain wrote:

If they're following precautions shouldn't this number be 0 instead of 237? 237 cases is ridiculous.

Porcelain There are no precautions that can guarantee 0 unless you lock yourself in your house.

People have to go out.  People will contract the virus somewhere along the way.  You cannot protect a population to 0 unless you isolate everyone.  Or we all wear hazmat suits. 

Dr. Fauci had a reply to that and I completely agree with him.

For those in our society who suggest that people being cautious are cowards, for people who refuse to take even the simplest of precautions to protect themselves and those around them, I want to ask, without hyperbole and in all sincerity:
How dare you?
How dare you risk the lives of others so cavalierly. How dare you decide for others that they should welcome exposure as "getting it over with", when literally no one knows who will be the lucky "mild symptoms" case, and who may fall ill and die. Because while we know that some people are more susceptible to suffering a more serious case, we also know that 20 and 30-year-olds have died, marathon runners and fitness nuts have died, children and infants have died.
How dare you behave as though you know more than medical experts, when those same experts acknowledge that there is so much we don't yet know, but with what we DO know, are smart enough to be scared of how easily this is spread, and recommend baseline precautions such as:
Frequent hand-washing
Physical distancing
Reduced social/public contact or interaction
Mask wearing
Covering your cough or sneeze
Avoiding touching your face
Sanitizing frequently touched surfaces
The more things we can all do to mitigate our risk of exposure, the better off we all are, in my opinion. Not only does it flatten the curve and allow health care providers to maintain levels of service that aren't immediately and catastrophically overwhelmed; it also reduces unnecessary suffering and deaths, and buys time for the scientific community to study the virus in order to come to a more full understanding of the breadth of its impacts in both the short and long term.
I reject the notion that it's "just a virus" and we'll all get it eventually. What a careless, lazy, heartless stance.”

Anthony Fauci didn’t write that. A facebook user named Amy Wright takes credit for the statement. 
A lengthy Facebook post about viruses skips from chickenpox to herpes to HIV and, finally to the coronavirus. It’s attributed to Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, and ends with an uncharacteristic scolding. 

This post was flagged as part of Facebook’s efforts to combat false news and misinformation on its News Feed. The words themselves are an opinion and not something we at PolitiFact fact-check.

But the attribution to Fauci is wrong and worth correcting. In a statement, the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases told PolitiFact that Fauci wasn’t the author of the post. 

Thank you @MorningLover . I must confess that I still completely agree with the author. However, it was misrepresented as being from Fauci in quite a few venues, thus my attributing it to him.

Highlighted
Super Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:
@Hoovermom wrote:
@suzyQ3 wrote:

I wish them well. But as we've seen, college kids, usually first time living on their own, are not known to have the most control over their impulses. If someone could prevent them from drinking and congregating and convince them to take all the necessary precautions, I would be more likely to predict success.

@suzyQ3 :  Time will tell, won't it?    

Some seem to want things to fail so they can say they were right.  Thankfully there are some who want to work through these difficult times.  There will be ups and downs but that is just about anything you encounter in life.

Some only want to see the negative as well. Good grief I will never never understand that. If people are looking for zero virus cases to have any kind of positive outlook I feel sorry for how miserable they may be. 

This isn't an occassion for a positive outlook. Maybe when the vaccine comes out. 

Trusted Contributor

Stevieb

Well, that's only because an SEC championship is not on the line. Win or lose, you would see brawling, looting, property damage, and fires.  These actions won't be widely reported or considered youthful hijinks.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

It's good news that the initial test positivity rate for students coming back was only 1%, but I would be concerned about the possibility of false negative test results and allowing  students to cram into dorms and classrooms because their initial test was negative.  It only takes one false negative result to spread into thousands of cases in that type of environment.  Also, those kids are not living in a bubble and can leave campus for whatever reason.  Again, it just takes one exposure to cause a major problem.  

Respected Contributor

@Zernia Rose wrote:

Stevieb

Well, that's only because an SEC championship is not on the line. Win or lose, you would see brawling, looting, property damage, and fires.  These actions won't be widely reported or considered youthful hijinks.

Who are you actually referring to @Zernia Rose ?

Trusted Contributor

Not you Hoovermom, rather to Stevieb about the potential behavior of students in the line.

Honored Contributor

I know several people berating others, tsk tsking because "idiots" don't wear masks; while also going out to eat and going to weddings and having birthday parties for the kids and grandkids--and no masks in their pictures.

This is DO NOT understand.  

Trusted Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@MorningLover wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

Sooner wrote:
Porcelain wrote:

If they're following precautions shouldn't this number be 0 instead of 237? 237 cases is ridiculous.

Porcelain There are no precautions that can guarantee 0 unless you lock yourself in your house.

People have to go out.  People will contract the virus somewhere along the way.  You cannot protect a population to 0 unless you isolate everyone.  Or we all wear hazmat suits. 

Dr. Fauci had a reply to that and I completely agree with him.

For those in our society who suggest that people being cautious are cowards, for people who refuse to take even the simplest of precautions to protect themselves and those around them, I want to ask, without hyperbole and in all sincerity:
How dare you?
How dare you risk the lives of others so cavalierly. How dare you decide for others that they should welcome exposure as "getting it over with", when literally no one knows who will be the lucky "mild symptoms" case, and who may fall ill and die. Because while we know that some people are more susceptible to suffering a more serious case, we also know that 20 and 30-year-olds have died, marathon runners and fitness nuts have died, children and infants have died.
How dare you behave as though you know more than medical experts, when those same experts acknowledge that there is so much we don't yet know, but with what we DO know, are smart enough to be scared of how easily this is spread, and recommend baseline precautions such as:
Frequent hand-washing
Physical distancing
Reduced social/public contact or interaction
Mask wearing
Covering your cough or sneeze
Avoiding touching your face
Sanitizing frequently touched surfaces
The more things we can all do to mitigate our risk of exposure, the better off we all are, in my opinion. Not only does it flatten the curve and allow health care providers to maintain levels of service that aren't immediately and catastrophically overwhelmed; it also reduces unnecessary suffering and deaths, and buys time for the scientific community to study the virus in order to come to a more full understanding of the breadth of its impacts in both the short and long term.
I reject the notion that it's "just a virus" and we'll all get it eventually. What a careless, lazy, heartless stance.”

Anthony Fauci didn’t write that. A facebook user named Amy Wright takes credit for the statement. 
A lengthy Facebook post about viruses skips from chickenpox to herpes to HIV and, finally to the coronavirus. It’s attributed to Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, and ends with an uncharacteristic scolding. 

This post was flagged as part of Facebook’s efforts to combat false news and misinformation on its News Feed. The words themselves are an opinion and not something we at PolitiFact fact-check.

But the attribution to Fauci is wrong and worth correcting. In a statement, the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases told PolitiFact that Fauci wasn’t the author of the post. 

Thank you @MorningLover . I must confess that I still completely agree with the author. However, it was misrepresented as being from Fauci in quite a few venues, thus my attributing it to him.

What's more important.  That they lied.   Misused a man's name.  Pretended to be him and posted stuff he never said.  Or, the message was so touching.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm still waiting for the results of the Sturgis rally.  Based on the videos and photographs, these people were beer swilling like they couldn't say no even if they wanted to and grossly overweight defiantly so it seemed and probably with underlying health conditions....like they couldn't care less what they were doing to themselves or to the rest of the country when they got back home.  

People, please don't forget the Sturgis rally.  

The aftermath of that is very important.  

If anyone gets news please share it.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@stevieb wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

Well we took a drive Sunday late afternoon/early night south to a campus and I am here to tell you that we drove through a college campus and saw almost no masks on kids.  Not on campus, not on the hangouts nearby.  And friends kids are posting pics of them in the dorm, no masks.

That generation doesn't think like we do, and we should be accepting of that more than people were us when we were young and bullet proof and knew everything.

Many simply will not wear masks unless the worst starts happening.  And none of us know what will happen.  

@Sooner  No we don't know at all and to my mind the repeated and redundant conversations, lamentations and scoldings have become exhausting.

@stevieb   Yes!

It's called having a severe control problem.  Look at the wording in those posts.  Angry, frustrated, etc. etc. etc.

All upset because everyone isn't doing masks, etc.

Well seriously-does anybody really believe that everyone will follow the guidelines?  And if they don't. do what you do and let others be. 

We get it.  We get about masks, social distancing, and on and on and on.

If some do not comply that is on them.

Notice how many more posters we lose every single day.  It's becoming the few running every thread letting the rest of us know just what the real deal is. 

Getting very tired of being treated as though some are the authority and the rest of us are just plain clueless.

Now watch-this post will be reported.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh