Esteemed Contributor

Re: University of Alabma COVID........

@Hoovermom wrote:

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

The number of deaths among those infected is not going down. It is significantly higher in several states and areas. Give it another week or two...We will all be reading about even more spikes in cases in Alabama. Alabama is my home state and it is one of the worst for complying with masks and social distancing

@Goldengate8361 :  I live in Alabama and have not found your statistics.  Would you share?

Some peoples perception becomes their reality.  How can you blame them when the news leads each broadcast with "death counts".

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Esteemed Contributor

@Hoovermom Sure! There are many. I am on my Amazon fire tablet and I do not know how to copy a URL on it, so I will tell you exsctly how to find a great sourse. Go to fox10tv.com and look up an article bt Brendan Kirby on August 14. The headline is "Alabama Ranked Near Bottom in Nation for Social Distancing." Very informative article. Mentions tgat Alabama is ranked 47 out of the 48 continental United States in social distancing.

Esteemed Contributor

@Hoovermom wrote:

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. —

The University of Alabama released its first batch of Coronavirus (COVID-19) testing results among the student population Monday.

Out of 25,948 students who completed COVID-19 tests as part of the requirement to attend school, less than 1% tested positive as of results received August 16.

The percentage equates to 237 UA students who tested positive for the disease. Those who tested positive must complete the university's isolation protocols before returning to campus.

All students must submit confirmation of a negative test before attending classes....WVTM13

Great news, 0.0091336519

I feel like that is great news. I wish it was lower, but its a lot better than it could have been. 

Honored Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

If they're following precautions shouldn't this number be 0 instead of 237? 237 cases is ridiculous.

@Porcelain There are no precautions that can guarantee 0 unless you lock yourself in your house.

People have to go out.  People will contract the virus somewhere along the way.  You cannot protect a population to 0 unless you isolate everyone.  Or we all wear hazmat suits. 

Honored Contributor

Bringing up concerns about the spread at colleges (e.g.the mess now at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill) is relevant here, even if some don't want to hear it.

And implying that anyone on these boards is happy about the bad news is truly disgusting.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

Public health experts have been pushing “social distancing” as the key to beating back the coronavirus pandemic, but a new report suggests Alabama is not doing a great job.

The report come from TOP Data, a marketing and data analysis firm. It ranks Alabama 47th out of the 48 continental U.S. states.

The firm uses aggregate cell phone data from the firm Cuebiq as proxy for social distancing, determining how often two different cell phones are close to one another for at least five minutes. It compares the average number of daily interactions with a pre-pandemic baseline.

Interactions are down in every state. But they are closer to 2019 levels in Alabama than every state but South Dakota. The data as of Aug. 2 show interactions are running 82.1 percent of normal in Alabama. Residents in the state have averaged 5.32 interactions per day, down from 6.5 daily interactions per person before the pandemic.

The report’s authors state that the data indicate former hotspots like California, Arizona, Texas and Florida have seen recent declines in daily case counts as a result of better adherence to distancing guidelines.

On the other hand, the report states, “It could mean trouble ahead for parts of the South and Great Plains. Parts of the South and the Great Plains have become relaxed in their social distancing and could become future hotspots.”"

Magical thinking is just as dangerous as despair. We all need to toughen up a lot. Don't be afraid. Be smart. And don't rely on news to make you feel good. Feeling good and optimistic and having hope is mostly an inside job.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Respected Contributor

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

@Hoovermom Sure! There are many. I am on my Amazon fire tablet and I do not know how to copy a URL on it, so I will tell you exsctly how to find a great sourse. Go to fox10tv.com and look up an article bt Brendan Kirby on August 14. The headline is "Alabama Ranked Near Bottom in Nation for Social Distancing." Very informative article. Mentions tgat Alabama is ranked 47 out of the 48 continental United States in social distancing.

@Goldengate8361 :  Thank you for that as I had never seen the cell phone data before.  

Respected Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

Less than one week in, University of NC at Chapel Hill is cancelling in person classes and sending everyone home.  

The same thing will be happening at all schools foolish enough to think it's safe to restart in-person classes.

"The truth is like a lion. You don't have to defend it. Let it loose. It will defend itself."
- Augustine

Be Vigilent
Honored Contributor

There are never zero flu cases and there is a vaccine for that. Zero is never going to happen.
Honored Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:
There are never zero flu cases and there is a vaccine for that. Zero is never going to happen.

@Pearlee  Of course you're right. One can only assume then, that the seemingly rather pious need for some always to have the final say and to focus upon the negatives will continue indefinitely... More's the pity...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...