Honored Contributor

University going online

[ Edited ]

Our university is shutting down today and rest of the week. Classes will be taught online.  Although I'm not at work (I'm still sick) my department will be there as the research and interlibrary loan work is necessary.  Our department classified as necessary, there will be a few people at home. If I feel better, I will be working form home.  I have to talk to my boss about this.  I have done this once before, after a really bad snow storm back in 2015.  The university was closed for a week. 

I have no idea wheat will happen next week.  You might not be aware of this, but several universities across the country are shut down and students are being taught online.  All of our universities in our state are closing. 

EDIT: New anouncement.  Students will not be going to classes for the next 2 weeks.  They will be taught onlne.  Staff is required to be on campus.  

Honored Contributor

That's pretty much the way it is all over the country.  This is the new reality for time being.  Colleges and some high schools are sending students home.  Most are offering the classes online when it can be done.  If not, the classes are suspended until further notice.  Offices are also sending workers home to work.  My nephew does customer service work and all week, his department has been handing out laptops and sending people home to work.    

Honored Contributor

Re: University going online

[ Edited ]

@chrystaltree wrote:

That's pretty much the way it is all over the country.  This is the new reality for time being.  Colleges and some high schools are sending students home.  Most are offering the classes online when it can be done.  If not, the classes are suspended until further notice.  Offices are also sending workers home to work.  My nephew does customer service work and all week, his department has been handing out laptops and sending people home to work.    

We have a "module" on our computers for this to happen in case of closures.  We can search articles for online articles for patrons and send them over.  Our turnover time is 24 hours each day Monday through Friday.  I did this only once before the week we were shut down due to a snowstorm.  Online courses have always been taught, but the student is required to attend at least 50% of classes in person.

Honored Contributor

@songbird   This will give you the opportunity to recoup.Smiley Wink  Good move to be able to teach online at the university/high school level.  Probably would be beneficial to close down elementary schools as well, but a challenge as it would impact learning.  We are faced with interesting days ahead.  I hope you will be able to work from home and will be up and at 'em soon.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes - many colleges in this area went online only in the past few days.  I think one is online for the rest of this semester.

Honored Contributor

@phoenixbrd wrote:

@songbird   This will give you the opportunity to recoup.Smiley Wink  Good move to be able to teach online at the university/high school level.  Probably would be beneficial to close down elementary schools as well, but a challenge as it would impact learning.  We are faced with interesting days ahead.  I hope you will be able to work from home and will be up and at 'em soon.

We've always had online education.  When I was in college, it wasn't available for classes.  We had it for symposiums and lectures where we would takes notes.  That was at home on a computer. I didn't have one and went to the library to access it.  Now most classes are online. But some universities still require you to be at some on campus classes, percentage wise in order to graduate.  My understanding now is that after Spring Break, most students will not be going back to campus. I don't know what will happen to students that live on campus.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

How do you do labs like chemistry and microbiology online? When I took these college courses it was hands-on. Just curious. I could have taken my psychology and sociology classes on line but I don't see how I could have taken others like anatomy & physiology, and zoology without missing out on a lot of learning.

Respected Contributor

in many ways what might have disrupted us more before will not do so so much now. 

people are more accustomed to online ordering - food, suppliies, etc;  many events/lectures/services are livestreamed;  many classes/courses are conducted on line as a matter of course and telemedicine etc has made medical advice and follow-up more accessible.

Honored Contributor

I'm glad to see a lot of companies and schools are being proactive about limiting contact with others. 

Trusted Contributor

That is fine if a university wants to move to teaching online but where are those students going.  Yes some can go home but international and other students can't.  They still need to function around the university and go to the cafeteria or other places on the campus.

How does a university close down the campus buildings from the general public?  Anyone can walk around a campus.